Ed Wort's APfelwein questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
So I recently acquired two extra 5 gallon carboys, and I wanted to put something in one that needed some aging time and that would be different. From what I have read on this forum, it is pretty much a rite-of-passage to do a batch of apfelwein. For those that have done it, could you describe the taste and if you followed the exact recipe, and if you left it uncarbed or you carbed it. I made a batch of hard apple cider a while back, and from what I can remember it was not very good. But I hear reving reviews of this apfelwein, so I am pretty sure I am going to do it. Any input would be great!

Jason

Dude said:
You couldn't search the 17 other apfelwein threads?

Actually, I did search the threads, but I my time is somewhat limited and didn't want to sift through the 50 pages of replies. Just wanted some general comments from people who had the time...if you don't, no need to reply. Thanks

Jason

Afro said:
Actually, I did search the threads, but I my time is somewhat limited and didn't want to sift through the 50 pages of replies. Just wanted some general comments from people who had the time...if you don't, no need to reply. Thanks

Jason

I haven't actually tried any (still fermenting) but it was great fun to put together (truly only 30 minutes) and so very cool watching it ferment..(a broil of activity) that combined with all of the positive comments about the original recipe, left me with no doubt that I had to make some apfelwein and follow the recipe as faithfully as possible...5 gallons apple juice, no preservatives, and Montrachet wine yeast. Simple as that that......Just do it!

It taste like a very dry apple flavored wine. Carbonated it reminds you of champagne. I prefer it carbonated (Sparkling).

Cowgo you forgot the corn sugar ;)

Chris_Dog said:
It taste like a very dry apple flavored wine. Carbonated it reminds you of champagne. I prefer it carbonated (Sparkling).

Cowgo you forgot the corn sugar ;)

Oops...my bad..still very darn easy, 5 gallons apple juice (no preservatives), 2 pounds corn sugar (dextrose/bottling sugar, some have reported good use of brown sugar) and montrachet wine yeast (I used Red Star Montrachet, some have reported good use of Nottingham dry yeast)...just do it.

Jayfro21 said:

Jason

Uh...whatever.

The very first post in THE apfelwein thread has EVERYTHING you'd ever want to know about it.

I searched for a total of 5 seconds.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860&highlight=apfelwein

Dude said:
Uh...whatever.

The very first post in THE apfelwein thread has EVERYTHING you'd ever want to know about it.

I didn't say searching was the part that took the time, it was sifting through 126 pages of replies...and like I said before, if you feel that I am being lazy or stupid for not searching and going through those posts, than DON'T ANSWER. I understand it gets annoying that people ask the same question over and over again, but sometimes its just easier to re-ask than search, sorry thats just the truth of the matter. And maybe I wanted some updated info. from the folks that started awhile ago and have had time to make multiple batches and see what they did or did not like. I think that if people are having a bad day than they should refrain from answering posts that they don't like. Just my opinion, but thanks to those that did post!

Jason

Jayfro21 said:
I didn't say searching was the part that took the time, it was sifting through 126 pages of replies...and like I said before, if you feel that I am being lazy or stupid for not searching and going through those posts, than DON'T ANSWER. I understand it gets annoying that people ask the same question over and over again, but sometimes its just easier to re-ask than search, sorry thats just the truth of the matter. And maybe I wanted some updated info. from the folks that started awhile ago and have had time to make multiple batches and see what they did or did not like. I think that if people are having a bad day than they should refrain from answering posts that they don't like. Just my opinion, but thanks to those that did post!

Jason

I understand that- but we do have a search function for just that reason. You can always find what you need by making your search more limiting. I would encourage you to read the threads when you get a chance- very good information has been posted.

Just because it's easier for you to ask the question than to spend the 5 seconds searching doesn't mean you shouldn't read some of the other posts. They are greatly informative.

I understand that, and I do always search first, as I did for this one...actually, I believe that I have already even gone through the entire 126 pages before when I was procrastinating from studying. The problem I have is that it is impossible to remember what has been said over that many replies, and all I wanted was some quick opinions to a very simple question. I wasn't asking a question about how to brew it, just a simple carb/ no carb question and what people thought about it. The way I typically use this forum is while I am studying I will take breaks and peruse the postings. Sorry to push some people's buttons, I love this forum and have learned a lot, I just have noticed lately that people are a little more "testy" to so-called newbie and/or previously asked and answered questions.

Jason

Jayfro21 said:

Jason

Like I said, if you would have read the very first post of THE apfelwein thread, you'd have gotten everything you ever needed about apfelwein.

Instead, you keep trying to justify the reason for yet another apfelwein thread.

And on top of that, you accuse me of having a bad day or getting on you about it. If I ever see another apfelwein thread that person will get the exact same treatment.

You obviously knew enough about the stuff to know that it was popular. So a search in THE thread would have saved that hassle all together. Edwort does a great job of helping everyone out with questions, hence the constant updates in that thread.

Get off your high horse.

Dude said:
Like I said, if you would have read the very first post of THE apfelwein thread, you'd have gotten everything you ever needed about apfelwein.

Instead, you keep trying to justify the reason for yet another apfelwein thread.

And on top of that, you accuse me of having a bad day or getting on you about it. If I ever see another apfelwein thread that person will get the exact same treatment.

You obviously knew enough about the stuff to know that it was popular. So a search in THE thread would have saved that hassle all together. Edwort does a great job of helping everyone out with questions, hence the constant updates in that thread.

Get off your high horse.

Ok, let's relax and have a beer (or apfelwein if you'd rather). Remember, it isn't "rocket surgery" and it's supposed to be fun! :mug:

YooperBrew said:
Ok, let's relax and have a beer (or apfelwein if you'd rather). Remember, it isn't "rocket surgery" and it's supposed to be fun! :mug:

Sounds good to me! I've got an Imperial Stout I just bought from Bevmo that I want to try!

Sounds like you already determined to brew the stuff, so the only true way to answer your question is to brew it, drink it, and decide for yourself. I'm not a wine drinker in the least, but everyone says this tastes like a dry wine. I don't know...could be...all I know is there are well over a 2000 posts on this one recipe and a very high significant portion of those posters rave about the stuff. That was enough for me to whip a batch up a few days ago.

I'm brewing on faith that this is a step up from prison hootch (apple juice and regurgitated bread)....yeah....I'm sure it is.

cowgo said:
Sounds like you already determined to brew the stuff, so the only true way to answer your question is to brew it, drink it, and decide for yourself. I'm not a wine drinker in the least, but everyone says this tastes like a dry wine. I don't know...could be...all I know is there are well over a 2000 posts on this one recipe and a very high significant portion of those posters rave about the stuff. That was enough for me to whip a batch up a few days ago.

I'm brewing on faith that this is a step up from prison hootch (apple juice and regurgitated bread)....yeah....I'm sure it is.

Haha, yeah I hope so! I love wine, especially dry wine, and my SWMBO won't drink anything with any residual sweetness (must have been too many sweet drinks and hangovers from college!) I am definitely going to make this, if not the for the fact that I have an empty 5 gallon carboy and want to do something with it! Thanks!

Jason

pet peeve of mine.... people that complain about someone starting a new thread. Does it really matter??? Does it really require the time from people to comment that the thread is redundant??? like yooper says... this is supposed to be fun!:mug:

Dude said:
Uh...whatever.

Ed changes it a bit in the 24x pages of text. For example on the first page he states "If you want to bottle and carbonate, ¾ cup of corn sugar will work fine. Use as you would carbonate a batch of beer."

but later in the thread he states that he does not add more sugar. I think it is fair to ask questions and you need a drink

Jayfro21 said:
I understand that, and I do always search first, as I did for this one...actually, I believe that I have already even gone through the entire 126 pages before when I was procrastinating from studying. The problem I have is that it is impossible to remember what has been said over that many replies, and all I wanted was some quick opinions to a very simple question. I wasn't asking a question about how to brew it, just a simple carb/ no carb question and what people thought about it. The way I typically use this forum is while I am studying I will take breaks and peruse the postings. Sorry to push some people's buttons, I love this forum and have learned a lot, I just have noticed lately that people are a little more "testy" to so-called newbie and/or previously asked and answered questions.

Jason

There is also a Search this Thread feature if you want to search for carb / carbonation / carbing
I am not being testy just pointing out a very helpful feature

Ok, I'm sorry. I see this irritating message about not ever posting and I got a kick out of this thread, so the troll in me has been released.

At least I didn't start a new thread.

Cheers!
:mug:

kevinh said:
Ok, I'm sorry. I see this irritating message about not ever posting and I got a kick out of this thread, so the troll in me has been released.

At least I didn't start a new thread.

Cheers!
:mug:

My daughter, who is in her fourth year of high schoool german, was quick to give her approval of my apfelwein (apple wine, to answer your question) brewing. She went on a class trip to Germany last summer and I'm guessing she tried some. She won't try mine!

Weird quirk in Kansas law, it's legal for parents to allow their own children to consume 3.2% beer in the home. That dates back to the time when 18 year olds could drink 3.2% beer. It's now, of course, 21 for everything and anything. I do remember going from 3.2 bar to 3.2 bar getting my free 18th birthday pitcher. Good times....good times.

Back