Transplanting and Vitamin B1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jperry

Reaction score
Hi there,
I just bought a few chinook crowns from Great Lakes Hops and I was wondering if anybody uses the product "vitamin B1" for transplanting their hops and reducing plant shock?

well I used the vitamin B1, and I have 3 plants in plastic containers (only temporary) and the plants are still looking as good as the day I got them. Keep in mind the plants are from Michigan, and I live in San Diego. The hi temp. today is around 95 degrees... Im a happy camper

I can only offer the mile-high perspective: plants synthesize vitamin B1, so you want to be careful about spending too much money on a supplement. Is the idea that even though hops can make their own B1, they just need a boost when they're being transplanted?

Why not use yeast slurry as a source? Yeast contain a ton of TPP (B1), so just pour off the beer, and dump a big yeast cake in the hole near the hop roots.

People also go to the health food store to buy bottles of ubiquinone (sold as Coenzyme Q10 or CoQ). Your body makes tons of this stuff, and every cell in your body would die if it didn't have enough. Still, people pop these pills expecting some benefit. I guess what I'm saying is: I wouldn't want you to spend too much on the B1 for the hops.

Thanks for the input drummstikk, I used the B1 as an added boost to try and reduce shock. I only used B1 because I had it laying around from last year; it cost about 9 bucks for a gallon of the stuff... So i didnt go break the bank or anything. Some other ingredients in the Vitamin B1, were chelated iron, manganese, and zinc. I figured I would just try and give the crowns a lil boost, and your right I probably didn't need to give them a supplement. They are very healthy looking plants.

Back