Yeast starter for Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasben

Reaction score
Was wanting to make a helles soon and like any lager it requires a larger yeast starter. I generally make mine in a gallon jug and swirl it every so often to kick the yeast up and this seems to work fine. Question is this, when making a starter for a lager should I put my starter in the fermentation chamber and let it grow at 50 degrees like I will the helles? Or 68 degrees like my other starters?

I think most do them at standard temp but some argue its better to do them at fermentation temp. I personally do them at 70-75 degrees like all my other starters. Just make sure to decant the starter before pitching.

I think that most folks just do it at room temp. I do not. If the yeast is meant to fermernt at 50 then I think that you should also start it there. If I make the starter at a lower temp I also drop the wort to that temp bnefore adding, I figure there is no sense in shocking the yeat first thing.

I do my starters at room temp. Then I cool my wort down to about the same temp, pitch the yeast and then start cooling to lager temp. This has always worked good for me.

Do it at room temp. Remember the goal of making a yeast starter is to make lots of healthy yeast and NOT something that tastes good. Just make sure you crash/decant before pitching.

Latest posts

Back