Pittsburgh/Western PA Group Buy - Round 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 15 sacks open

OPEN SPLITS:

Wheat Malt 1/2 a sack left
Flaked Corn 1/2 a sack left
DME for starters 20lbs left in 5lb increments.
StarSan 1 gallon left

There is only 1 more spot on the sheet for buyers. Could replace Forddog who has not placed an order and has had access to the sheet for some time.

doubl3h3lix, zcrxt, simonh, and jags0401 we are closing at 3 pallets which is around 126 sacks. We are at 113 right now. Its a race against time to make sure you get your order in.

First come first served. I can't do it any different than that and be fair about it.

I took the other half and got rid of my full sack of MO.

You will find that 1/2 sack of MO is not nearly enough :) If you like English Ales or things like Mirror Pond https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/mirror-pond-pale-ale-clone-70466/ it is simply awesome.

[Yes, I'm the little devil sitting on your shoulder. :ban: ]

Figure it this way. If you make a typical 5.0 ABV ale with MO, 5 gallons requires close to 10#. So 1/2 sack is a little under 3 batches, not nearly enough!

jags0401 said:
1 bag GW-2ROW
1/2 bag CM-WHET

I would be interested in splitting a bag of pilsner grain if there is additional interest.

Put the split you want on the sheet and if it fills ur good. If not the. Ur just out that split

Copyright I'm new to all grain. This should suffice for now.

You will find that 1/2 sack of MO is not nearly enough :) If you like English Ales or things like Mirror Pond https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/mirror-pond-pale-ale-clone-70466/ it is simply awesome.

[Yes, I'm the little devil sitting on your shoulder. :ban: ]

Figure it this way. If you make a typical 5.0 ABV ale with MO, 5 gallons requires close to 10#. So 1/2 sack is a little under 3 batches, not nearly enough!

Remember, dand9066 is the one organizing this group buy. Which most likely means there will not be another one until he gets through his grains. We don’t want him sitting on 250 lbs of grain that would take him 2 years to use up (Yes I am the little devil on your little devil’s shoulder!)

kpr121 said:
Remember, dand9066 is the one organizing this group buy. Which most likely means there will not be another one until he gets through his grains. We don’t want him sitting on 250 lbs of grain that would take him 2 years to use up (Yes I am the little devil on your little devil’s shoulder!)

Even if I was to stock up I would help organize another one in a couple months if there is interest.

Even if I was to stock up I would help organize another one in a couple months if there is interest.

You are the man! I figure my grains will hold me over at the very least 6 months, most likely till the end of the year as I have been tending to brew lower OG beers recently. Gotta pay some attention to that 200 gallon annual household limit also! :eek:

In that case, 10# of MO is all he needs! :)

You are the man! I figure my grains will hold me over at the very least 6 months, most likely till the end of the year as I have been tending to brew lower OG beers recently. Gotta pay some attention to that 200 gallon annual household limit also! :eek:
Rule #1, don't post all your batches to this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/how-many-gallons-homebrew-2012-a-290840/
:mug:

I completed a couple splits:
CM-WHET
DME

Started a new split for some munich

I ordered 1/4 bag of the flaked corn, but we still need someone to get 1/4 bag to finish that one.

Then I ordered full bags of CM-2row (2 bags) & BD-PALE.

Thanks for putting this together! There are four of us brewing together in Swissvale so we'll put it to good use. If anyone wants to get together in the City of Pittsburgh for a brew day sometime, let me know.

simonh said:
I completed a couple splits:
CM-WHET
DME

Started a new split for some munich

I ordered 1/4 bag of the flaked corn, but we still need someone to get 1/4 bag to finish that one.

Then I ordered full bags of CM-2row (2 bags) & BD-PALE.

Thanks for putting this together! There are four of us brewing together in Swissvale so we'll put it to good use. If anyone wants to get together in the City of Pittsburgh for a brew day sometime, let me know.

Simon I took the .25 of Munich off. I'm on my phone or I would add another row for a new split with Munich. Once a split equals 1 it is complete.

AROUND 5 SACKS TO GO

OPEN SPLITS:

Munich .75 sack
Rye .50 sack
Corn CLOSED IF ANYONE WANTS .25 LET ME KNOW. I DON'T NEED A HALF A SACK BUT WANTED TO CLOSE THE SPLIT.
StarSan CLOSED

Lets close today! I'd love to get the order finalized and sent to country malt for final pricing.

I closed the rye split. If we don't finish the munich split I started.. no big deal.

Does anyone know how long the grain is good for storage assuming no mice, moisture, etc?

I closed the rye split. If we don't finish the munich split I started.. no big deal.

Does anyone know how long the grain is good for storage assuming no mice, moisture, etc?

6 months to a year I believe. If i'm wrong someone please correct me

CLOSED

IMPORTANT: please send me an email with your paypal email address. Make the subject paypal. I know a couple of you sent me paypal info but please send again. Make sure there are no typo's as it will only delay the process. If you want to send money through bank of america still send me paypal info so i can invoice you. If you have questions let me know.

Recieved = R Waiting = W Invoiced = I
dand9066 - Indiana, PA Paypal = R
Dmase - Monroeville, PA Paypal = R
adamreef - Cranberry Township, PA Paypal = R
Paymygasbill77 - Finleyville, PA Paypal = R
bmickey - Salem, OH Paypal = R
ButcherBoy - Lower Burrell, PA Paypal = R
Mcgeebc - Cleveland area, OH Paypal = R
Beezer94 - Harmony, PA Paypal = R
faithinchaosx - Pittsburgh, PA Paypal = R
hio3791 - Venetia, PA Paypal = R
coyote68 - Indiana, PA Paypal = R
hop_head76 - Imperial, PA Paypal = R
kpr121 - unknown Paypal = R
shuggy - Butler, PA Paypal = R
Bruwsomtin - Shippenville, PA Paypal = R
fredtheseal - Monroeville, PA Paypal = R
PJM - Wheeling, WV Paypal = R
bja - Butler, PA Paypal = R
Rloc - Pittsburgh, PA Paypal = R
neutrinodust - Butler, PA Paypal = R
wyoohio - Wadsworth, OH Paypal = R
Trent_77590 - Uniontown, PA Paypal = R
doubl3h3lix - Wadsworth, OH Paypal = R
sinisterkid - Steubenville, OH Paypal = R
simonh - Pittsburgh, PA Paypal = R
zcrxt - New Castle, PA Paypal = R
jags0401 - New Kensington, PA Paypal = R
Mbell - Verona, PA Paypal = R

Copyright1997 - NY Paypal = R

Awesome! Lets get this thing paid for and shipped! dand, do you know if the estimate calculated in the order form includes shipping or is that going to be extra? I just want to try to get some budgetary estimate into my accounting department (SWMBO! lol).

RE: grain storage: I am planning to use all my grain within the year stored in white food grade 5 gallon buckets. I've even thought about maybe purging the space with CO2 in the buckets that will be around the longest, althought I am not sure that is necessary.

6 months to a year I believe. If i'm wrong someone please correct me

I don't know the time, but I am using grains from last August without issue (they still smell fresh). Here's how I store things:
1) For base grains (i.e. I have a lot of them), I use 5 & 6 gallon food-grade buckets. For grains I use frequently, I keep them in a bucket with a gamma-seal lid. [Gamma seal lids are expensive but work great.]
2) For specialty grains (crystal xx, carapils, ...) where the amounts are less, I took the grains from the split and broke it into reasonable sized vacuum sealed chunks. For instance, for all of the crystal grains (c15, c40, c60, c120, c150), I did 1# or 2# bags. Then I store the vacuum sealed bags in a tote in which I can latch the lid. I've also sealed up (in bigger # amounts) things like Rye, Corn, Wheat, ... things I don't use as often as 2-row or MO.
3) If I have a full sack of grain that requires multiple buckets, after doing 1), I will make sure I only open the bucket being used and leave the other one untouched.
4)While I haven't done this, I think you could also extend the life of grains in a bucket by using oxygen absorbers. For example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003F960Z2/ref=sc_pgp__m_A1DDCONGYWJOAJ_2?ie=UTF8&m=A1DDCONGYWJOAJ&n=&s=&v=glance. I have some of these plus mylar bags (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Y0Y8C6/ref=sc_pgp__m_A1DDCONGYWJOAJ_6?ie=UTF8&m=A1DDCONGYWJOAJ&n=&s=&v=glance). I have used the mylar bags but haven't yet sealed them with oxygen absorbers. I figure I will use up the grain fast enough to not need to do this, but might try it out to see how well it works.

As an aside, people have sucessfully stored food using mylar + oxygen absorbers for quite a few YEARS.

Last edited by a moderator:
dand9066, I will not be at the office to receive anything on Wednesday the 21st. For whatever reason the higher ups decided to send me to a training on that day.

Sorry to inconvenience anyone... but should the grain be shipped and received prior to that day, I won't be able to do any pick ups on the 21st either.

Awesome! Lets get this thing paid for and shipped! dand, do you know if the estimate calculated in the order form includes shipping or is that going to be extra? I just want to try to get some budgetary estimate into my accounting department (SWMBO! lol).

RE: grain storage: I am planning to use all my grain within the year stored in white food grade 5 gallon buckets. I've even thought about maybe purging the space with CO2 in the buckets that will be around the longest, althought I am not sure that is necessary.

Shipping was estimated in the total at about $5.5 per sack of grain on top of the cost per/lb. Unless the price of grain jumped from the sheet we were using I believe the prices will be pretty close. Anyone that ordered StarSan or PBW will split the $15 additional HAZMAT charge that was not included. This will be about a dollar or two extra split between everyone i'm guessing.

dand9066, I will not be at the office to receive anything on Wednesday the 21st. For whatever reason the higher ups decided to send me to a training on that day.

Sorry to inconvenience anyone... but should the grain be shipped and received prior to that day, I won't be able to do any pick ups on the 21st either.

I expect the finalized order to be placed no sooner than this early next week so I would not expect delivery on that day. I'm hoping to get it as close to a Friday delivery as possible so the bulk of everyone can pick grain up on the following Saturday.

As an aside, people have sucessfully stored food using mylar + oxygen absorbers for quite a few YEARS.

This is my first group buy, but this is how I plan to store my grain. I've already filled my pipeline so I'm not sure how long it's going to take me to use everything.

Is anyone interested...
in completing the only open split for Munich Malt 10L. There is .75 left open. You're welcome to .25 or .5 or .75 dependent on if anyone has taken part of a split since I've posted this.

PayPal - Thanks all of you that have emailed me your PayPal info. ---We're getting there.

Is anyone interested...
in completing the only open split for Munich Malt 10L. There is .75 left open. You're welcome to .25 or .5 or .75 dependent on if anyone has taken part of a split since I've posted this.

PayPal - Thanks all of you that have emailed me your PayPal info. ---We're getting there.

I thought the pallets were already full.

I thought the pallets were already full.

It's complicated. Country Malt has a maximum size they can go in dimensions with a pallet and there is a maximum weight. By weight we have only filled 2.85 pallets. I'm definitely closing by 4pm today but I figured we could help out Simonh and try and get that extra sack in.

The chemicals, caps and breakbright tablets won't take up as much space as a full sack I don't believe so thats why I figured we might be able to squeeze another sack or 2 on there.

PayPal email sent. dand9066, take a look at my email as it relates to helping out Simonh. Don't know if my offer helps or not. Let me know.

I only need about a half dozen more paypal addresses. No rush on this part. I send a finalized order over to bugman last night. He told me this morning that he won't be able to place the order today because he's swamped but should be able to tomorrow. I'll keep you updated as I find out more info.

My baby is being born tomorrow so in dont anticipate being on here much. Dand9066 am pm'ing you my phone number just in case you are waiting for me to pay or something

My baby is being born tomorrow so in dont anticipate being on here much. Dand9066 am pm'ing you my phone number just in case you are waiting for me to pay or something

Well soon to be congratulations! My thoughts are with you and your SWMBO that everything goes well. I'm sure she's would be at your throat if your at the hospital worrying about whether or not I started taking payments and if you'll get your grain. I'm sure you will be home from the hospital by the time i'm ready for payments and be up 3-4 times throughout the night as well. Get as much rest as you can now!

Ive got pretty much everyone's PayPal info. The order was submitted to country malt this morning. I'm hoping I receive a final quote from them tomorrow. Monday at the latest. If I receive it tomorrow expect to receive invoices from me over the weekend. Let me know if you have any questions.

If anyone is interested in a split or full sack of chocolate malt let me know. Someone placed an order for 2 sacks but only want 1. I'm not sure if I will be able to subtract a sack since the order has been submitted. No big deal either way

If anyone is interested in a split or full sack of chocolate malt let me know. Soomeone placed an order for 2 sacks but only want 1. I'm not sure if I will be able to subtract a sack since the order has been submitted. No big deal either way

If you can't take it off the order, I will take a .25 or .5 split of it.

Back