Steam Venting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
I know it can't be JUST ME that gets this crap...

I have been getting more and more involved in craft brewed beer; be it HB'd or Micro-Brewed, and as I accumulate knowledge and equipment, I mention to friends what I have been doing.

"...if you'd just take in the empty kegs for scrap metal, you'd have enough money to just BUY SOME BEER, HA, HA, HA!"

"...why are you whining about taking back cans....?"

"...I prefer my GOOD beer over THAT crap; why isn't Bud Light good enough for you...(eye-roll)"

It is SO obvious that many of my (current) friends are just plain too shallow and lazy to have a debate over what constitutes a good beer, or how to go about getting it. I'm done bringing it up, and done listening to their current endeavors.... I think I'll just start cutting them off, changing the subject they start to anything else, or just walking away.

I need more equipment and less 'good' friends. :mad:

There seems to be a whole set of life changes that goes along with HBing; not just the inventory of equipment and supplies and the actual brewing/finishing that one initially thinks of. It is all for the better... ;)

Hi Henry,

"There seems to be a whole set of life changes that goes along with HBing; not just the inventory of equipment and supplies and the actual brewing/finishing that one initially thinks of. It is all for the better... "

I believe that those life changes are unavoidable. All part of lifes' natural movement. Without change beer would not ferment or carbonate. Without change I would still be eating crayons and dirt like the two year old I once was.

Sounds like you are open to the learning process and enjoy discovering new things, and that sounds to me like a pretty healthy place to be.

just my 2 cents

Yes life does go through many changes; however, I wouldnt lose friends over who likes what kinds of beer. If it truly offends you that they dont like your beer, dont give it to them.

That seems pretty extreme. I have friends that like my beer and ones that don't. Some of them make fun of me for my hobby, but I'm the first one to rip on them for unusual things that they do. It's just part of being a guy!

RDWHAHB

I heard once that if you have ONE GOOD FRIEND in your life consider yourself lucky. How many of us have friends, or lots of friends, but that they are really just fair-weather friends? I literally have had that in my life before, having a hot boat and being on the water lets you meet lots of people, and hang out and party, but they aren't really friends, just people you hang with for a good time.

Starting to see the phoniness of my supposed 'good' friends; and the condescension is disgusting considering they they condemn from ignorance.

Once again. I see how the most ignorant are so often the most arrogant.

It's not the fact that they don't like my beer or craft beer in general, it's the 'your such an idiot for wanting craft beer, or wanting to make it' attitude that just sits wrong. I don't condemn them for living for only improving their house and not doing anything else, or for their stock car racing and nothing else; I help them whenever I can or am asked. It's the instant rejection that I sense that is so alienating, and pollutes any desire for me to share or help in their hobbies.

People are so stuck on themselves...or else I am just 1000% more empathic than anybody else...but I tell ya, when people are smarmy and condescending, I don't respond well. Especially when they are being so ignorant in doing so...

Quality over quantity...in beer and in friends...(although I like huge quantities of beer)...I just don't have patience for arrogance much anymore...people SO overcompensate, and I just wanna hold them at arm's length...ya know?

Henry Hill said:
Quality over quantity...in beer and in friends...(although I like huge quantities of beer)...I just don't have patience for arrogance much anymore...people SO overcompensate, and I just wanna hold them at arm's length...ya know?

Thanks to homebrewing we can have our quality AND our quantity!!!!! :ban: :ban: :ban:

:mug:

If people can't be bothered, don't bother.

Don't cast your pearls to swine.

You are definately sharing your enthusiasm about home brewing with the wrong crowd.

Dale Carnegie said it best, the most lovely sound a person hears, is there name. So, having said that, if it doesn't have much to do with them (because, let's get honest, it's apparently all about them) the sound is just noise.....

I have a friend who likes good beers. He's been on and off about the ones I made and isn't all that impressed by most micros.

He also just recently got over a 5 year spell where the only time he got laid was from cheap massage parlor hookers.

Everyone has their pros and cons. Don't expect people to like something just because you made it. Look at big microbrews: they typically make one good beer, and two or three variations of it. Sure, Rogue and SN are now branching out, but most breweries make one type of beer and try to do it very well. And still, not everyone likes it.

lgtg said:
If people can't be bothered, don't bother.

Don't cast your pearls to swine.

You are definately sharing your enthusiasm about home brewing with the wrong crowd.

Dale Carnegie said it best, the most lovely sound a person hears, is there name. So, having said that, if it doesn't have much to do with them (because, let's get honest, it's apparently all about them) the sound is just noise.....

You summed it up.

One-way street mentalities... suck.

Back