recap beer before going out???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fleas

Reaction score
ok this is an odd question but here it go's
I go out to shows alot and like to bring home brew with me but i all ways bike every where and the yeast sediment gets all mixed in when i put the beer in my back pack,
so the way that might fix this is to pour my beer into another bottle before i leave and recap it. do you think i will still have a good carbed beer latter that night????
if you have any other better ideas i would love to hear them:mug:

thanks sorry about the weird question...

If you do a good job of transferring without casuing it to foam up to much, it'll be just like if you opened a screwcap beer and closed it again. Like a soda pop.

But, if you open a soda bottle and then screw the cap back on, you will lose carbonation in the liquid.

A certain amount of gas will escape the liquid and build up pressure in the head space. Eventually, the pressure in the head-space will prevent additional gas from escaping and things will level out, but it is possible that enough gas will have escaped to make the beer taste kind of flat.

The best thing to do if you plan on trying this is to make sure there is as little head space in the new bottle as possible. Also, chill everything before transferring the beer (chill the bottled beer, and chill the new bottles). That will help avoid foaming/loss of CO2 when you transfer.

-walker

It should work just fine. Keep it cold like Walker said. That is essentially how I bottle. I use my forward seal faucet to pour into cold clean bottles. They do have a bit less carb. but it isn't bad.

Ice the brew down, then decant it into 1 liter soda bottles. As, WS recommends, start with full bottles. If you have a CO2 rig, carbonator caps rock. Transferring to soda bottles eliminates the risk of breakage and you don't have to pack drooling, uncapped bottles home.

Latest posts

Back