HTC Droid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashz

Reaction score
Looking for any input from droid owners. Particularly if you have successfully rooted and loaded various rom's and have a favorite. Or a favorite few. Model of phone would be helpful as well.

I tried to root my droid but couldn't figure it out. Call me stupid, but even following directions I found online I couldn't get it to work. I have the Droid 1 on Verizon.

The phone is great. I originally bought it to be a placeholder until the iPhone came out, but now I think I'm going to keep it and see how the iPhone drama plays out once it hits the network.

I have the original Moto Droid on Verizon, and it is rooted and overclocked running a Custom rom called Bugless Beast. It is very easy to root most devices. Look for a "one-click" rooting method. Basically connect the phone to the pc, run the one click tool on the pc and it will do all the hard work for you.

Do you have an android phone already or are you looking to purchase your first one? Which cell provider are you on?

I recently got the HTC aria. Jury is still out on if i will keep it. At&t gives me 30 days to decide. If I keep it I will root it and put something else on. There seems to be a good amount of bloatware on it out of the box. I am curious whath Rom burns people have tried. Also what specific features, widgets, apps you saw as necessary.

I picked the aria because it is fairly small for a smart phone.

I have no experience with the Aria, but check out the forums at xda-developers to see what hacks are possible for the device and then decide if you think it is worth it or not.

ATT will soon be getting the Moto Atrix which looks to be an amazing phone, but definitely not worth it if you are into custom ROMs. Moto has been locking things down tight lately and truly custom ROMs will not be possible.

running a droid1 with ultimate droid. my roommate had an eris, it was a POS and he had to get the thing replaced five times before verizon just gave him a droid2. motorola is locking their phones down for sure though, anything that has blur on it is screwed for the most part as far as custom roms/getting around/hacking the moto bootloader goes.

IMO, android is a far superior, if completely inconsistent, OS than iOS

I'm very new to fine-tuning the droid. Have an Incredible..

After getting deeper into Launcher Pro I have seen more and more references to "rooting," and I have to ask...

wtf is rooting, and why would I benifit from it?

Sorry for my non-geeky n00bishness.

I'm very new to fine-tuning the droid. Have an Incredible..

After getting deeper into Launcher Pro I have seen more and more references to "rooting," and I have to ask...

wtf is rooting, and why would I benifit from it?

Sorry for my non-geeky n00bishness.

rooting is basically giving yourself full admin rights to read/write to the system files that are usually non accessible. The benefits are things like removing default programs you have no use for, full backup of apps and data using programs such as titanium backup, different skins to change the look for your phone, etc. So much more you can do with it.

And if you have a phone with an unlocked bootloader (not sure about the Incredible but typically HTC does not lock them tight) you can put on custom ROMs and even overclock the phone.

Back