Cloudy larger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzbys01

Reaction score
1st batch of larger complete but larger very cloudy, 1st mistake after reading threads I put yeast into the boiling water then added the cold water every thread saying killed of the yeast so after 5 days no bubbles from airlock & added new sachet of yeast and left for another 7 days. Hydro reading 1.000 but larger now very cloudy and 1/2 inch thick sediment at bottom of fermenter but primmed & bottled anyway and just after 1 day top of bottle getting clear & looks like sediment heading to bottom of bottle. Wil this be safe to drink or could there be a bacterial problem ? please advise

Thank you

If your FG is 1.000, you probably have an infection of some kind. It's very unlikely for ale or lager yeast to attenuate that much. How does it taste? The cloudiness is most likely caused by the dead yeast cells which don't flocculate and are easily suspended in beer. The best thing to do would have been to use gelatin as a yeast finings in your secondary. But it should be safe to drink. There isn't much that can make a beer unsafe to drink... aside from gagging at the taste if it tastes awful.;)

Its tastes just like larger should and after 48hrs the bottles are 50/50clear with sediment heading to bottom, hdyro reading was between 1.000 & 1.010 which is marked red on my hydrometer not sure why. Have I produced larger flavoured water? DO!!!!!

did you rack the beer from the fermenter before priming, leaving the sediment behind? It sounds like they are clearing, 48hours is way too early to start judging a naturally carbonated bottle.

Its tastes just like larger should and after 48hrs the bottles are 50/50clear with sediment heading to bottom, hdyro reading was between 1.000 & 1.010 which is marked red on my hydrometer not sure why. Have I produced larger flavoured water? DO!!!!!

I agree that it's way too early to start judging your bottles. With a FG of 1.000 though, you'll probably want to cover those bottles with a garbage bag or something incase they explode. Beer shouldn't really get that low, so that's why we're assuming you have an infection. If you do have an infection, you could end up having bottle bombs.

Back