Milky white layer at top of yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poley

Reaction score
I have a milky white, wavy layer at the top of my yeast cake. Is it still safe to pitch onto? It looks kinda gross, but I know that it may just be yeast.

Anyone seen this before that can put my worries to rest? :(

Thanks.

looks like yeast to me. The last to flocculate.....It gets progressively finer towards the top of the cake. It looks like it needs to settle a little more though. How long has it been in there?

2 weeks.

I'm brewing today (Happy Homebrew Day!) and want to use the cake to pitch on. I'm making a big(er) beer (13# of grain) and would prefer to use the cake rather than pitch dry yeast.

The porter is nearly done fermenting, haven't seen a bubble in a looooong time (that was pitched on a cake as well, so it went quickly). I'm racking to a secondary, so I figure that any yeast left in suspension will still be able to clean up.

Any other advice? Thanks for all the fast help!

Ah, OK. Sorry, for some reason I thought you might be bottling from that. (I havn't hade enough beer yet)

You are fine with that. :mug:

I'd wash it to get rid of the crap in there so you are just pitching yeast and not old trub material that is breaking down. It will also clean the yeast too which could have resins and stuff bound to them hurting their viability. Plus, then you can pitch the right amount rather than over pitch and get better beer!

Back