Can't change pressure!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
Ok so This is my first kegged beer, and the psi on the regulator is reading 15 15, and that was for the force carbing over time. Now it is carbinated, how do I remove the pressure and get it back down toe 5-10 psi? I tried twisting the screw on the front but it wont budge. I broke my arm last year and dont have full grip pressure in my hand, so is it a strength thing? Can someone walk me through it and tell me the direction to relieve pressure?

Actually it was based on your charts Bobby. My father was in town and helped me set up the regulator and such and we saw your 15 PSI set and forget graphs and used those. Now it has been a while and is carbinated, and I want the huge amount of foam to stop.

dont forget you have to purge the pressure in the tank after adjusting the pressure screw. so 2 turns left. purge and see where your at. you dont have to let it completely purge just enough to where you hear the co2 being applied again.

Yeah im trying to go coutner clockwise. Its just super super hard to turn I think. The bolt that is on there, is that supposed to be right next to and touching the regulator?

dont forget you have to purge the pressure in the tank after adjusting the pressure screw. so 2 turns left. purge and see where your at. you dont have to let it completely purge just enough to where you hear the co2 being applied again.

+1
just lower the preasure on the regulator and then pull a preasure reliefe so the gauge drops down.

Turn the screw counter clock wise and loosen the bolt as you do so (helps when mine is sticking). After that you should be able to adjust it. Just make sure you bleed the keg and raise the PSI to what you need; otherwise you will need to adjust later after you pull a draft (if the pressure in the keg is higher then what the reg is set at, it will show pressure of keg; after pulling a nice draft beer you will have low PSI and have to up it).

The problem though is if you turn it down to serve you have to turn it back up to 15psi to keep it carb'd or it'll go flat.

That's why Bobby's asking why you think you need to turn it down.

Considering your grip strength as a potential reason to not wanna mess with the psi every time you want a few beers...increase the length of your tap line. Balance the system so that serving psi and carbing psi are the same.

No foam, no messing with psi every couple days. Just beer...all the time.

The problem though is if you turn it down to serve you have to turn it back up to 15psi to keep it carb'd or it'll go flat.

That's why Bobby's asking why you think you need to turn it down.

Considering your grip strength as a potential reason to not wanna mess with the psi every time you want a few beers...increase the length of your tap line. Balance the system so that serving psi and carbing psi are the same.

No foam, no messing with psi every couple days. Just beer...all the time.

I do have an unusually short line. Wait that sounds bad. I have like a 2-3 foot line. Its not very impressive. So that will be my next purchase.

Somewhere around 6 feet of 3/16" I.D. at 15 psi and around 36-38F (assuming fridge) should give you great carbonation and decent head without over-foaming.

a good general setup around here tends to be 3/16 line at 10 ft.
and yes, loosen the lock nut first to be able to loosen/adjust the pressure adjusting screw.

I may be having a similar problem. Right now Im just trying to force carbonate and I cant move the screw more than a half turn. I've used this setup for a year and a half now and it wont budge. Yes the locknut is loose and my strength isn't an issue. I removed the regulator and have it on my kitchen counter now and am trying to troubleshoot. Sorry to barge in on this thread but I think thats better than posting the same one :p

just cuz we're tossing out numbers, I have 8 feet of tap line, about 14psi, and about 42F in my keezer.

that gets me good draws of beer. I believe my line is 3/16" ID (the LHBS only has one size)

Latest posts

Back