noob questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe7dust

Reaction score
I'm going to use SuperYeast and refined sugar to create my first 20% ABV homebrew. I plan on going by this guide: The Homebrew Company: SUPERYEAST

1: During the 8-day fermentation, should the pail be sealed shut, cracked open or fully open?

2: The wording is a bit unclear but it appears to state that it is ok to simply use Super Kleer KC and mix with soda/punch, and that the charcoal/filtration steps are mainly for those who plan on distilling into liquor and need a pure spirit base. Is that right?

3: Super Kleer KC mix says it treats 5-6 gallons but the SuperYeast batch will be 7.5 gallons will I need to buy 2 packs of Super Kleer KC or perhaps only make a half batch?

4: Will the powder yeast keep well if I only use half at a time?

I plan to mix with Ginger Ale/Hawaii Punch for an alcoholic holiday party punch type drink and store the rest in 1-gallon glass bottles.

5: Will this keep well long-term stored in glass? And should it be refrigerated if yes?

So you've never fermented yeast then? Question number one isn't exactly rocket science I just wanted confirmation from those who have done it before.

If you think you know the answer, then why are you asking the question? I may be inexperienced but, as you say, it's not rocket science. The experienced people here see right through you and I am just backing them up with evidence. Your problem is that no one believes you and as a result no one is willing to help you. This site is about beer, wine, mead, and cider, and what you are making is, quite apparant, none of the above.

I'm asking to be sure, I want it to be as good as it can be. It's a wine and not illegal below 20%

I'm asking to be sure, I want it to be as good as it can be. It's a wine and not illegal below 20%
what exactly are you trying to make? wine is fermenting the sugars of fruit. didn't you say that you are fermenting sugar and water and going to mix it with punch? and you cannot ferment yeast, as yeast is the fermenter.

Refined sugar, fruit of the sugarcane if it makes you feel better. What does it really matter?

This is frustrating. Your asking how to make something that every brewer here knows will taste horrible. We dedicate alot of time and energy to make the best brews possible and your asking how to make prison ***** hootch. Thats being said your just asking how to make hootch. Pretty simple. Add yeast to sugar and leave to ferment. You should use an airlock. Dont bother with the finning agent. Im just saying its gonna suck. If it were going to be distilled it would still be horrible but youd be drunker faster. Its your deal but dont do it man.

I watched your other post get flamed and you just repost it with another heading? this isnt the palce for your ?

I want it to be as good as it can be.

Then why are you making this???? You have had several brewers and winemakers (and very good ones at that) try to tell you that what you are making is going to taste like lighter fluid, at best.

Yes it will ferment.Yes you will get a buzz off of it. If you can actually force yourself to choke it down.

First, I would like to say this will be horrid. Having said that, I suppose I could be a bit helpful, at least you might learn some basics if you ever try to make some drinkable.

1 Do not seal the bucket, the yeast eat the sugars in the solution and create alcohol and co2. The co2 must have a way of escaping. You can either cover the bucket with a clean towel to prevent bugs and the like from getting in, or you can put on a sealing lid with a hole drilled in it for an airlock.

2. Filtering probably would help this, a tiny bit. I still predict this is nearly taste bud suicide, but with filtering, without a proper setup you will be oxidizing your "brew" adding more "flavors" to it.

3. Clearing agents probably aren't necessary, you can just let it age long enough to clear on its own. But honestly, is clarity really important when you make this?

4. You can attempt to reseal the yeast and keep it in the fridge, but there is nothing wrong with overpitching, so you might as well just use it all.

5. Yes, as long as you sanitize everything that touches it through out the process and bottle without oxidizing it, it should keep in well sealed glass containers for quite some time. Refrigeration isn't really necessary.

Back