Non-Round Fermenter options? (3 and 6 gal batches)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd-santaclarita

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am trying to figure out a better fermenting vessel strategy to meet a few of my newer brewing needs listed below and hoping you all may have some ideas as my searches have made me more confused than ever.

1. I'm trying to maximize the usable fermenter area in my Haier Wine Cooler fridge that I ferment in. My current 8 gal bucket fermenter hogs the whole usable space, but there is a ton of room left if the shape of the vessel was more 'fridge friendly"

2. Trying to find a good fermenter for doing 3 gal batches, but more space conscious than a 5 gal bucket (which hogs the whole space).

Ideally, I would like to be able to ferment a few batches at once instead of just the one I can hold currently. My goal is to do more 3 gal batches as I just finished my electric 3gal kettle and want to add some variety into my kegerator. Occasionally, I will also be doing a 6 gal batch as well. I'm hoping to find some good fermenter Tetris parts :)

Thanks,
JD

The 3 gallon better bottles are square but I wouldnt put more than 2.5 gallons in one. If you don't mind reducing your 3 gallon batch to 2.5 I think this would be a great option.

I remember looking at the vittles vaults a long time ago and seemed the consensus was the gamma seal is an issue that makes cleaning too hard. Is there ways around that these days or a non issue? The size of the VV's would be great as I can get 2 high in the fridge.

Thanks,
JD

Oxyclean does wonders to clean even the most hard to reach places......Plenty of people use vittles and plenty of people replace their other fermenter lids often with gamma seals. I've found that in brewing there is no such thing as conscensus, and usually comes from armchair quarterbacks who rarely ever have actually USED that which they are so sure won't work.

Fill something with hot water and oxyclean, let it soak long enough and rinse, and you'll be fine.

Plenty of folks do no chill brewing in what amounts to jerry cans an they manage fine with cleaning and sanitization.

I picked up a vittles vault today. Does anyone know for sure if they can handle hot wort? I seem to remember that given they are hdpe they could handle it, but I cant seem to find anything on it. Does anyone know if you can transfer the wort right after the boil flameout?

Thanks,
JD

Hi all,
I am trying to figure out a better fermenting vessel strategy to meet a few of my newer brewing needs listed below and hoping you all may have some ideas as my searches have made me more confused than ever.

I feel like square vessels would make cleaning harder and cause uneven heat pockets in the chamber if you packed it full without a recirc fan. No scientific proof to this, of course.

Have you considered doubling to 5 gallon batch, primary in corny kegs with anti-foam drops, utilizing a blowoff tube? Seems to be several threads here where people said they've done it successfully without a big mess for most anything other than Hefes.

Back