Just bought a pound of Nelson Sauvin. What should I brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickwalker

Reaction score
So just like the title says, I just bought a pound of Nelson Sauvin Hops, a hop I've never used. What should I brew? If anyone has a recipe (all grain) they like that really showcases this hop that would be awesome!

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

An ipa would be a good choice, if you aren't familiar with the flavor of the hop, widmer brothers makes an ipa using Nelson sauvin

IPA or Double IPA

they are good on their own, but they definitely have a very unique flavor profile to them

i love them blended with fruity/cirtus hops to help cut some of the strong NS flavor

def use them for dry hopping as well

they pair very well with rye

they are the most pungent and strong flavored hops i've used so may want to start a little light with them

i've used them solo in a blonde ale that was pretty good but my favorites have been in IPAs, one was with simcoe and citra, 1 oz each at 20min, 1 oze each at flameout and 1oz each dry hop.

right now i've got an india pale lager that use 5oz of nelson along with amarillo, simcoe, nugget and citra - i've had a few tastes and it's very tastey so far but it's only been lagering for a few weeks. i'll be transfering to a new keg soon and adding the 2nd round of dry hops

Thanks for the feedback guys! Here's what I'm thinking:

FERMENTABLES:
8 lb - Pale 2-Row (55.7%)
5 lb - Golden Promise (34.8%)
0.625 lb - Aromatic (4.3%)
0.75 lb - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.2%)

0.5oz Columbus (60min)
1oz/ea Simcoe,Citra,NS (10min)
1oz/ea Simcoe,Citra,NS (5min)
1oz/ea Simcoe,Citra,NS (Dry Hop)

YEAST:
Wyeast 1084 (w/ starter)

Thanks for the feedback guys! Here's what I'm thinking:

FERMENTABLES:
8 lb - Pale 2-Row (55.7%)
5 lb - Golden Promise (34.8%)
0.625 lb - Aromatic (4.3%)
0.75 lb - Caramel / Crystal 60L (5.2%)

0.5oz Columbus (60min)
1oz/ea Simcoe,Citra,NS (10min)
1oz/ea Simcoe,Citra,NS (5min)
1oz/ea Simcoe,Citra,NS (Dry Hop)

YEAST:
Wyeast 1084 (w/ starter)

I have all of that and it looks delicious I think Im brewing it soon. I'll probably bitter with warrior and shoot for more IBu's.

Back