Opinions on buying kits with work allready made in bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankeefan1

Reaction score
Hi Im just starting out and im wondering about the kits with the wort allready made in the bag, just curious if these are any good and if anybody has experience with these? Thanks.

Exactly what kind of kits are you talking about? We can answer your question better with a link. I have done kits containing all extract (both liquid and dry) and extract with steeping grains. If there is a kit that contains a full 5 gallons of wort ready to pitch I'm not familiar with it.

I've seen the kits that come with the wort already done, and you just ferment it.

Look at it this way. Do you want to learn to make HOMEBREW, or are you interested in taking a few shortcuts to having some homebrew?

Do you want to learn to make HOMEMADE gourmet dinners from scratch, or do you want to put pre-made food in the microwave?

It's about the same thing. The real finesse/skill of homebrewing comes in creating the wort. Fermentation is the easy part.

Also, brewday where you create the wort is CERTAINLY the fun part! You'll be missing out on the fun part, and really only doing the tedious part.

So, if you want to actually learn to homebrew, skip the pre-made wort and look into extract kits. If you just want to make some homebrew the "microwave" way, no shame in fermenting some premade wort, you just aren't going to really learn much about making homebrew that way.

not to say that it'll cost a bunch more than buying a kit where you have to put some of yourself into it.

Starting with an extract kit will give you a bunch more satisfaction than buying something that has had 90% done for you. Plus.. you get bragging rights.. :ban:

I won't hate on the pre-made wort kits. You can get your feet wet with the fermentation and bottling process without much work or equipment invested.

But in the long haul, its not the true experience. Its more like heating up a can of Campbell's soup, vs. making gumbo from scratch...yeah the end result is still soup, but you'll be more proud of the gumbo.

Ya I think ill try the kit with the work allready made till I get use to it, then ill try making my own wort someday. Does anybody have any good links or recipies to do this?

Hey there fellas

I have made beer and wine every which way and loose, from extracts and kits to grains and grapes. For the past decade on and off, I have been using all grain wort from brewhouse (rj spagnols) and festa (magnotta). In my opinion they are awesome and produce a product you would be proud of. The drinkability of these products is fantastic and compares favorably with any microbrewed product. I have bottle conditioned for years and recently built a kegerator and am enjoying it immensely. My first "hack" is coming with a festa wheat to which I am going to add one liter of fresh maple syrup to make a maple wheat beer. Looking forward!

The wort-in-a-bag kits can be quite good if fermentation is done well. The Brewhouse Kits in particular are good, as are the Festabrew. You can also alter them by adding hops, changing the amount of water you add (to the Brewhouse kits), etc. Use a good yeast (Wyeast or White labs, or a good dried yeast).

I use them when I am low on beer, and don't have time to do an all-grain batch, or even a partial mash.

TopherM said:
I've seen the kits that come with the wort already done, and you just ferment it.

Look at it this way. Do you want to learn to make HOMEBREW, or are you interested in taking a few shortcuts to having some homebrew?

Do you want to learn to make HOMEMADE gourmet dinners from scratch, or do you want to put pre-made food in the microwave?

It's about the same thing. The real finesse/skill of homebrewing comes in creating the wort. Fermentation is the easy part.

Also, brewday where you create the wort is CERTAINLY the fun part! You'll be missing out on the fun part, and really only doing the tedious part.

So, if you want to actually learn to homebrew, skip the pre-made wort and look into extract kits. If you just want to make some homebrew the "microwave" way, no shame in fermenting some premade wort, you just aren't going to really learn much about making homebrew that way.

I certainly agree with making beer (and wine) from scratch from grain and grape. You learn a lot about the science, art and process along the way. But if you want to save some money and time or get your feet wet, these wort kits will steer you in the right direction. But you don't have to be a programmer or know DOS to use a computer anymore :) Although I wished the hell I learned to type back in the day :0)

I agree that the pre-made wort is better than nothing, but TRUST ME, when you serve your buddies a beer you made from grain to glass, and they all like it, your pride and smile will be 1,000,000 times bigger than if someone else made the wort.

I'm just sayin! That's the intangible that is worth the larger investment into extract brewing for the OP!!

Let me add my experience.

I was all jazzed up with my 2nd batch! Walked into the LHBS and the little 100 lbs, tattooed gal with piercings in her eyebrow & nose said, "Yeah, we got kits! They're the Hamburger Helper of brewing!" :confused:

It's a generational thing. When I went to school we thought those guys & gals were stoners! :fro:

My next batch was all grain. No lie, it was much better! Taste Buds don't lie.

yankeefan1 said:
Hi Im just starting out and im wondering about the kits with the wort allready made in the bag, just curious if these are any good and if anybody has experience with these? Thanks.

What kits are you looking at? As posted, I've used both brewhouse and festa...

yankeefan1 said:

East coaster eh? :) how's the pulp mill?

smalltownbrewer said:
The brewhouse pilsner is pretty impressive after 2 weeks, so far and affordable.

Yeah especially if you live in the tax grabbing, gouging, vice-robbing nanny state/provInces of
Eastern Canada! Affordable becomes the operative word!

Easy? maybe, but also probably the most important part.

I know of small beer companies that buy wort from a bigger brewhouse then ferment, age & blend to bottle something very good and unique. That's not Hamburger Helper/Microwave dinner. :ban:

I know of small beer companies that buy wort from a bigger brewhouse then ferment, age & blend to bottle something very good and unique. That's not Hamburger Helper/Microwave dinner. :ban:

Although I now brew custom extracts and all grain, I still used prepared wort. Festa Brew creates a number of brews I've had great success with. Their seasonal Czech Pils and Marzen lagers are exceptional, especially when lagered. I've got a couple on now where I've changed out the yeast from S23 to 34/70 and one where I blended the two. I'm also putting on one of their Baltic Porters. I'll go back to all grain in the new year.

If I was offered a free beer that someone made, and it was good, I wouldn't care what method they used.
Having said that, making your own wort is actually pretty easy, it just takes some time and practice.
So go ahead and make the wort kits if you want, the main thing is to to have a good time and enjoy your beer. Merry Christmas! :mug:

These seem like a pretty cool place to start. All the different methods are legitimate and only one is truly making it from scratch. There are very few people malting their own barley. IMO there is essentially no difference between this and a pre hop extract kit that you just add water to. A partial mash is a little more involved, all grain a little more and the guys that grow everything, malt their barley, roast their specialty and cultivate their own yeast are borderline crazy. Though it would be fun to take it from dirt to glass if I had the space, time and equipment.

Do what is right for you. Like many on this forum, I started with extract kits. Once I had mastered bottling and fermenting, I moved to all grain and am very pleased with the results. As I became more involved, I was not satisfied with the limited offerings of extract blends. I wanted more control and repeatability.

Latest posts

Back