wiring pumps directly to switches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I see on most control panels that the switches for the pumps are wired to an outlet then the pump plugged into the outlet. What is the reasoning for this? Why couldn't the pumps be wired right to the switches?

I would want to keep the factory plug. But no reason to not cut off the plug and wire it into your panel if you wish.

Well my first pump was wired directly to the switch, because it came without a plug. My current pumps came with plugs, so they plug into an outlet which is then controlled with a switch.

So if the pump came without a plug is there any reason not to do that. I am just thinking that is 2 less holes I have to cut in my box. I just think it is easier to use the 7/8" KO punch and put in a liquid tight conector than to try and cut holes for the outlets plus it would give me more room in my box.

Well I had an outlet wired into my pump toolbox (not connected to the switch) just to use it as an extra extension cord of sorts.

But apart from that I don't see any reason why you'd need one.

One reason to use the 'plug in' method is portability. If you need to grab a pump in a pinch and move it to another use you can. If you hard wire it, it will be harder to do this.

yeah that makes sense

Back