Planning on Making Radioactive Sake or Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mezmer13

Reaction score
Hey I was planning on purchasing radioactive rice and other ingredients from Fukushima. Because I will not be using contaminated water, I think the product will be safe to drink however. The purpose in this is to get mutant yeast. The benefit is to get unique flavor.

Has anyone else tried this? Could you share your experiences?

If this is a troll thread it is a damn original one.....If you're serious you belong in the group like the guy that wanted to make a beer with real blood in it....

:mug:

drink the blood beer while reading a copy of squadron supreme, first edition, so it has the writer's ashes mixed into the ink!

WooHoo!

Maybe a new strain of contamination resistant yeast...?

Just ask this guy... He used radioactive rice for sake - now he looks like one of those snap-lights used in emergencies and rave parties....

Good luck, let us know how it turns out (or what new extra appendages/organs you grow!)

Ryan M.

2.jpg

1.jpg

trololololololol?

I hope you're kidding. I would be surprised if Japan was even shipping anything out of the country with a higher than normal radiation level - I would also think that this is an incredibly stupid idea.

as far as mutant yeast - all yeast is mutated, even after one beer you have a slightly different yeast than you put into primary because of the act of reproduction.

Nope,

I just like to hang out on the brew forum for the sophisticated and intelligent topics and conversations we have (like radioactive sake/beer...) J/K!

Heck yeah man. Not to the extent that some folks do, but enough to get me by. Just kegged Biermuncher's Blue Moon Clone, and am working on getting stuff for EdWort's Haus Pale Ale.

Bottled: Pumpkin Ale, Old Smoky Porter (1 bottle left), just kicked my keg of EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, and have some Apfelwein bottle conditioning. It was a busy summer. Brewing slows down in winter for me, but I want to get the Pale Ale brewed before it gets any colder than it is already...

You?

Revvy,

Got to give the dude credit... Interesting topic, and you know that someone out there, somewhere, has actually had that idea...

Stupid people are fun AND exciting!

yeah the old lady actually started me off but i've been at it for a good year now. i've got an IPA, rye ale, irish brown (was going to be a red until the HBS ran out of roasted male and had to switch to black patent) and a spiced stout. also just got one in a fermenter now that i wanna make non alcoholic for the old lady, a saison.

i know meaty is on this forum as well but i haven't run into him.

I hate when the LHBS runs out of Roasted Male... I prefer Tanned Beaver, but that is pretty hard to come by in large quantities...

Haha, I think I have had one too many tonight... and its only 7:30 here... Ah, whats one more?

BTW, who's Meaty?

meaty portion!

yeah i've been sipping on my ipa for awhile now, though slow because i've got to get up at 5am, blech.

Not I... I was going to try a little pheasant hunting in the am, but the wind is supposed to be terrible in the AM. That and 18-20 degrees at 7AM makes for sucking the life out of a guy in a real quick hurry. Guess I will see how I feel in the AM.

Could be Santa Claus in a mall... I think that leads to increased suicides during the holiday season...

i would already be dead if my store was in a mall. nah it's a pretty upscale place and i get to work with a lot of really quality product (i work in cheese, with a side in beer sometimes, we have one of the best bottle shops in the city and sell homebrew stuff to boot). it's actually a decent job, just the holidays are extremely busy. i make a decent bunch of change out of it though.

Man, sounds like a pretty awesome gig! I wish I could make good money opening a brew shop. However, in my neck of the woods, the market is pretty slow due to the religious folks around these parts. Oh well, what do you do. I work to brew!

haha well it's a small part of the store. i'm definitely not opening a brew shop. it's a decent job though.

It's not my intention for any radiation to be left over in the final product. I just want the yeast to get as much exposure as possible. The contents of the beer should be consumable by humans without any hazards. Only a small amount of quarantined rice out of Japan has exceed safe standards (500 + Bq). The rice I'm looking for would be 200-400 Bq. That being said, humans can consume 1000-4000 Bq once and be okay. These dose rates rates can be correlated with the dose rates of medical testing in humans. The lethal limit is 1,110,000,000,000,000 Bq (1.11 x 10_15). Also, most of the radioactive element found in these grains will decay after about 70 days to more than safe levels. A 70 day brew even with lethal or cancerous levels should be more than safe to consume. Also filtering will catch 90% of any residual radiation left over after 70 days. I hope this quells concerns about makeing a poisonous brew.

Why? Wtf is the point? Brew something you've never done before and leave well enough alone.

I have to admit, part of my motivation is bragging rights, the other part is attempting to create new strains of yeast. Although... now that I'm thinking about it, there are better ways to create new strains. So after self-reflection I have to say I'm just doing this for bragging rights. But you know, even though I've just started my research on obtaining materials for this, I've bumped into some pretty scary stuff on the internets. Including private dealers from Japan that can deliver 1300 Bq materials (which is pretty tempting).

...and Lol. as I was writing this, a friend of mine just emailed me this link:
Radioactive Isotopes : United Nuclear , Scientific Equipment & Supplies

I love the internet!

Your brew should give a whole new meaning to "Hot Break." Are you going to monitor fermentation by affixing a radiation badge to the fermenter?

Well, irregardless troll or no troll, i suppose i could still be availiable to hear about your results if you actually go through with it... Have you ever brewed a "normal" batch of beer before? Just curious about your brewing past i suppose.

Well, irregardless troll or no troll, i suppose i could still be availiable to hear about your results if you actually go through with it... Have you ever brewed a "normal" batch of beer before? Just curious about your brewing past i suppose.

My first batch was extract, second was partial mash, the third was all grain. Since then on, I've been doing crazy brews.

mccumath said:

Ugggg, seriously!? Irregardless? I'm an engineer and that still bugs me, and I couldnt spell to save myself from hanging to death. (oh yes, a hangman joke).

Now what kind of radioactive particles will be in the brew (alpha, beta, gamma)? You'll need to take that into account since each has different effects on the body when ingested.

ingchr1 said:
Now what kind of radioactive particles will be in the brew (alpha, beta, gamma)? You'll need to take that into account since each has different effects on the body when ingested.

There has to be an alpha acid, beta glucanase, gamma ray pun in here somewhere.

Anyway, assuming this isn't a trolling thread, same recommendation I give people when they propose to make a beer with the wife's afterbirth: if you share, warn people BEFORE they take a sip.

Mezmer13 said:
It's not my intention for any radiation to be left over in the final product. I just want the yeast to get as much exposure as possible. The contents of the beer should be consumable by humans without any hazards. Only a small amount of quarantined rice out of Japan has exceed safe standards (500 + Bq). The rice I'm looking for would be 200-400 Bq. That being said, humans can consume 1000-4000 Bq once and be okay. These dose rates rates can be correlated with the dose rates of medical testing in humans. The lethal limit is 1,110,000,000,000,000 Bq (1.11 x 10_15). Also, most of the radioactive element found in these grains will decay after about 70 days to more than safe levels. A 70 day brew even with lethal or cancerous levels should be more than safe to consume. Also filtering will catch 90% of any residual radiation left over after 70 days. I hope this quells concerns about makeing a poisonous brew.

This is like saying, "sure a seagull pooped I'm my kettle while the boil was on, but let me tell you all the reasons why this particular dose of bird crap won't hurt you ..."

You should probably read about what radiation does before thinking you're going to get some useful yeast strain out of this. People don't get mutant powers from radiation, they just die, same thing with yeast.

Latest posts

Back