Picked up some Delta hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used some, as flavor hops in two IPA's also using Cascades and Chinook. I agree that they smell great, but I wasn't that fond of the resulting beers. Both had a harshness that I didn't care for. I can't say for sure that it was the Delta hops, but I probably won't use the remaining 3/4 of a lb that I have.

I ordered a lb of whole lead delta hops from www.hopsdirect.com. I made a beer that I originally wanted to name "Delta Bomb" using only this hop because I had Harpoon's Delta ESB and enjoyed it. I'm a little disappointed. I used almost a lb all together and it really didn't come through as expected. It's supposed to have somewhere over 6% AA and I boiled 3 oz for 90 min. It's really not very bitter at all and this is a beer that finished at 1.010. I also dry hopped with 3 oz and keg hopped with another 1 oz. I was expecting a ton of flavor and aroma but it's not too pronounced. It's kind of tangy, a little musty and a little grapefruity.

I bought a pound as well, and am slightly disappointed. I'm not 100% sure that I don't like them cause I've used them in two beers both with a estery yeast so the hops are kind of covered up. Though my more recent one with a large dosing of late additions and some dry hopping doesn't have much discernible hop taste. I will try soon with a cleaner yeast and hopefully it will shine through more. It definitely will still be good and drinkable but I think I just prefer more citrusy hops.

Thanks all. I used the ounce I bought at 10min in my boil to see if I can pick it out among the Columbus, Centennial, and Cascades.

I made a Smash with them and Maris. They are a subtle English-style hop. There wasn't anything about it that made me want to brew with them again.

I used them pretty heavily with a Live Oak hef clone base with Amarillo. Dry hopped with both as well. They smell good but they don't bring the heat like Citra, Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin, etc. That's why I thought they might be perfect for an altered hef.

Back