Can I make a 2 L starter with two 1 L flasks and one stirplate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelale

Reaction score
I want to try Jamil's Tripel recipe in the latest BYO. OG is 1.081. This will be the biggest beer I've attempted. I have a couple of jars of washed Wyeast Belgian Abbey II 1762 from Oct 2009. Mr. Malty says I need a 2.34 L starter for this OG. My problem is I only have two 1L flasks and 1 stirplate. Is it possible to step-up to the recommended volume with the equipment I have? Is two 1L starters equivalent to one 2L starter? I've read through the threads about starters using washed yeast, and I'm more confused now than when I started. I would assume that washed yeast would have about the same cell count as a Wyeast Smack Pak, given the same volume. Does the initial amount of yeast pitched into a starter matter, or does it just take longer to grow with smaller amounts? Help and/or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I just use a big (over a gallon) jug for my starters. I've been told by a pretty accomplished brewer who works in a microbiology lab that a yeast starter with a stirplate is completely defeating the purpose if there isn't at least half the volume of air as wort in the stirred vessel.

I'm assuming that is for O2 absorption. I've had real good luck with 1L starters in 1L flasks just lightly covering the flask with foil.

I've had good results too with that method, it's still a starter. But I took his advice and on my last batch, 1.5L starter in a gallon jug, it was amazing the difference. I had a four inch krausen even with the stir plate running. That has never happened to me, and I'm assuming it because of the much greater volume of gas allowing for a better exchange. The yeast just took off.

Well, you can't do two 1L at the same time... I'm sure you realise that, but I don't see an issue doing a 1L starter, putting that in the fridge and then doing another.

I would strongly recommend getting a larger flask though, 3L would be a good size.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just combining them when pitching.

Back