Swad's "Sakar" Sugar = Clear Belgian Sugar Substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksosh

Reaction score
Hi all,
So while browsing the local Asian market for citric acid (to make my own belgian sugar), I saw packets of Swad brand "Sakar" sugar. It looks sort of like clear belgian candi sugar (the hard stuff, not the liquid). I can't find much about this stuff on the internet (other than it's sometimes called Mishari?), so can anyone tell me if it's a reasonable substitute (at $2/pound) for the clear Belgian (rock) candi sugar my LHBS sells for $9/pound? What should I expect from this? Just increased ABV, or some help with head retention, sweetness, etc?
Thanks!

Also, citric acid is sold in every grocery store I've been in as a cleaner for coffee makers. Check the ingredients though. There are several varieties.

You can make Candi Sugar out of regular table sugar - link

Also, I may be wrong, but I would think that clear candi sugar just adds fermentables and not much flavor. You could probably just add common table sugar to the wort during the boil and accomplish nearly the same thing. If you are adding during fermentation (after the boil) I don't think table sugar will work.

The dark syrup is worth the price IMO, but the clear? sucrose is much cheaper.

If you want something a little more flavorful, I have used lyles golden syrup in several tripels with good results.

Thanks everyone for your input.
I have a can of Lyles Golden (and half a can of the dark) that I'm going to use for a Belgian Golden, but the crystals were going to be for a chocolate stout/porter. I'll probably end up just making the candi sugar using the table sugar/citric acid method... doesn't seem that hard, just need to hit my temps.

Back