Flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccabeohio

Reaction score
Just tasted my very first batch and it was really disappointing. The flavor was decent but the beer had zero carbonation. It has been in bottles for 2 weeks, so I will let it sit for a couple more weeks them try it again. So what are the odds that this batch is going to improve? Any thoughts on why?

I had the same thing happen to my last batch. Sometimes they just take longer to carb up so give em some more time to liven up. Someone posted here that you can store the bottles upside down for a few days then upright for a few more. Apparently it wakes up sluggish yeast but I haven't tried it yet

100% Chance it's going to improve...2 weeks is not 3 weeks, and 3 weeks is the minimum. Bottling is a foolproof process, if you follow a few simple procedures, properly. The reoccurring theme on here tends to be simple impatience.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

I don't know if you are refrigerating them or not but it helps if the bottles are sitting in room temp. I made the mistake my first time brewing by letting the bottles carbonate in the fridge and that slowed down the process.

Latest posts

Back