Ive been thinking about soaking neutral spirit in apple wood....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigseyrancid

Reaction score
Ive been thinking about soaking neutral spirit in apple wood barbeque chippings as oposed to oak wood chippings, does anyone know if this is a bad idea due to toxins? My mate raised concerns and im wondering why ive never heard of anyone doing this as it made my cider taste awesome.

I just thought of that the other day when I saw some apple wood chips in a catalog or something. I really would like to try that and I don't see any reason it would be toxic.

Yeah, me neither. Honestly made my cider awesome, I used one bag about three times but by the third time in a five (imperial) gallon barrel of cider it had lost most of its flavour but the first and even second time it really made it great. I'm hoping it will make a good Apple Wood Vodka or something along those lines. I will do it unless I can find a reason why it may be poisonous or something.

many woods are toxic....I would be sure. Even wood that is safe for smoking or cooking can have toxins extracted by alcohol.

Yeah, not too sure where to look, most web searchs turn up with things to do with pets etc. that's why I turned to you guys. Really appreciate your input fellas, I'm new to this and it's good to find an international network of like minded folk. Being from the West Country UK I'm more into cider making (ooh aaar Jim lad) but recently made a purchase that means I can go above and beyond so am broadening my horizons if you know what I mean.
As with the apple wood, if I hear nothing against it I will make and drink it and if I survive I'll tell ee all about it.

Done more research and no one mentions it being poisonous, some are even talking about making barrels out of apple wood so it's my guess that's its ok, the only setback is that it may give a bad taste but its the taste I'm after so ill suck it and see and if I, my friends and family don't die I'll let you know in month or so.

I did it, actually a couple of weeks back. Drank it too and none of us are dead yet.
Took 2 litres of 60% and put in enough apple wood to cover the lot, within 24 hours it was the colour of a really dark whiskey, the next day I drained it off and we drank the ****er! Mixed reaction for people, but most thought it was really good. I think it was a little too tart, bitter or "barky". Will try again with less wood and longer time and I guess it would mellow a bit if you let it age in a bottle but damn, this was quick! If I'd left it any longer it would have been too much, maybe a blender but not on its own.

Back