American IPA Dogfish Head 60 Minute Clone (AG) & Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody tried keeping it in the primary only a week then moving to the secondary and dry hopping for two weeks? Do you think this would work? Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!

I had it in primary for just 12 days. It was at the FG for 2 days already so I racked over to secondary.

Has anybody tried keeping it in the primary only a week then moving to the secondary and dry hopping for two weeks? Do you think this would work? Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!

if fermentation is done, then yes. If my initial gravity reading after 6 or 7 days is 1.016 or less, I transfer. If it's slightly higher (1.20+), I'll waiting until its in the finished range of 1.010 to 1.018. People do say that 3 days of constistent readings is a fail proof method, but my method hasn't failed me yet, plus checking that many times increases the risk of infection. A hydrometer tells all, so, yes, it can be done.

I saw that AHS offers a 60 minute IPA clone. What caught my attention was that they recommend WLP002 english ale or Wyeast Ringwood ale for this beer. Has anybody ever tried those strains with this recipe? I am wondering how much of a difference it would be instead of using WLP001 or Pacman

Anybody? Was considering brewing sunday. Any recipe changes or updates to it. I read quite a bit but not all 93 pages. Someone chime in with the closest possible to the original.

Why not dry hop in the primary? I'd wait until a few days after I hit FG, and then dump my dry hops into the primary. I'd leave them for 7-10 days, then I'd bottle. No point exposing the beer to oxygenation and infection more than you have to.

The guys at my LHBS have been experimenting with dry hopping at different stages for the last year or so. They do a lot of dry hopping at the 4-7 day mark of primary fermentation, and have had no issues with it. The yeast movement helps to circulate the hops and has seemed, to us at least, to give it a better hop bite, and aroma. I myself dry hop in primary and have had no problems

I just tasted my first of this recipe tonight and it's GOOOOOD!

I did primary-only. 15 days to bottling. last 9 days dry hopped, and last 5 days with added gelatin fining.

The clearest beer I've ever made. The hops taste and smell are incredible! I think I have a new favorite!

Great recipe Yooper! THANKS!

I just read through about 35 pages of this post and it sounds like a great recipe. I want to brew this week and have Warrior and Simcoe but no Amarillo.

I have Centennial, Cascade, Ahtanum, and Williamette on hand. Does anyone know if any/or a combo of these hops will make something similar to the original? I have never brewed with these hops before so I'm not sure which is best. Thanks.

By the numbers and substitue guide on beersmith I would say go with cascade. Its not going to be the same, just similar. Centennial is gonna be a little higher alpha but still recommended, just less the same. I love he aromatic presence cascade gives. Id personally go win that but it's your beer my friend.

Out of that group, I'd go with the Ahtanum. Good citrus notes and more comparable to the Amarillo than the others IMO.

I just read through about 35 pages of this post and it sounds like a great recipe. I want to brew this week and have Warrior and Simcoe but no Amarillo.

I have Centennial, Cascade, Ahtanum, and Williamette on hand. Does anyone know if any/or a combo of these hops will make something similar to the original? I have never brewed with these hops before so I'm not sure which is best. Thanks.

Cascade will be your best bet; it is very similar to Amarillo, and I actually usually sub it in anyway even if I have access to Amarillo. Amarillo usually has a bit higher AA, so you might need to put in a bit more Cascade to make up for that.

Centennial will work OK too.

Love DFH 60. may give this a shot this summer. can only seem to find DFH 90 here in SC.
Where are you finding the pacman yeast? checked some of my usual retailers and they don't carry it. suggested substitution?

Love DFH 60. may give this a shot this summer. can only seem to find DFH 90 here in SC.
Where are you finding the pacman yeast? checked some of my usual retailers and they don't carry it. suggested substitution?

You can get Pacman at Brewmasters Warehouse. Some have substituted WLP001, I am trying WLP002 on my current batch.

Just brewed this on Monday, but as I had a surplus of WLP500 that is about to expire, I used it. I've used it in IPA's before and really like the character it adds.

Cracked my first bottle last night 6 days after bottling. It's a little green but I think its going to be great! Cheers!

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

Bottled this up today! So excited to crack one! Smells awesome will post results in a week! Thank you Yooper so much for the recipe great job.

Pulled the first pint last night 7 weeks old & it's fantastic. I'm going to make 10 gallons this weekend for summer. Thx!

Good times.

Spent grain
OrlbGl.jpg

Chillin' in the chamber
sNpDLl.jpg

The aftermath of the brew day
ssAph.jpg

I love the "dead soldiers" lined up after brewday. With all the beer, I'm surprised you could finish your brewday!

haha, i had quite a bit of help going through those. We usually dont start knocking them back until the mash is done. :tank:

Kegged mine yesterday.... drank two pints but well under carbonated and still young. Will try again tonight

Ok, I'm goin back for more. This is the first recipe I've wanted to brew again. It's been my fav and the keg has been kicked for some time, and I just got into my last 6pack. To top it off, just heard recently that Dogfish Head is pulling out of my state so no more 60min, so I smell a brew day this sat!

Finally brewed this yesterday and made bread with the spent grains. Couldn't keep my nose out of that Simcoe hop bag. :)

Finally cracked one! Two words.....WOW! Amazing brew. I'm not sure if it's something I did or what but the hops give off a citrusy/ fruity flavor that is unreal. Will defiantly be brewing this one again. Remarkably clear also. Thanks Yooper!

Pacman is still available and is stil being produced. Bought a smack pack of it this morning at Austin Homebrew that was packaged in February.

Brewing this recipe this weekend. Partial mash. Will let you know how it turns out. This will be my first brush with dry hopping and using irish moss.

Finally cracked one! Two words.....WOW! Amazing brew. I'm not sure if it's something I did or what but the hops give off a citrusy/ fruity flavor that is unreal. Will defiantly be brewing this one again. Remarkably clear also. Thanks Yooper!

Mine was citrusy too, almost grapefruit-like. I need to brew this recipe again. I have a 60 minute clone fermenting right now but it's a different recipe. Thought I would be able to save a bottle from this brew to compare but that didn't happen :D

WARNING: New to the forum, but not to the brew...

I'm trying this tomorrow, and I want to make sure that my schedule and volumes are correct; please feel free to blast my methods:

13.3 lbs of grain @ 1.25 qt/lb: 4.2 gal of strike water, mashing at 154 degrees.

Mashing for 60 min, sparge with 168 degree water until pre-boil volume of 6.5 gal is attained.

Continuous hopping with Warrior for first 25 min. of boil, and continuous hopping with a mix of Amarillo and Simcoe for the remainder of the boil.

Irish Moss at 15 minutes (I add Whirlfloc as well).

Post-Boil volume of 5.2 gal; 5 goes in the carboy with WLP001 starter.

10 days @ 63 degrees in primary
Rack to secondary and dry hop for 10 days @ 63 degrees.
Keg, carb, drink and repeat...

Have I missed anything?

After only 9 days in the primary and missing my target gravity by 16 points (a whole other story), this beer tastes fantastic and is the best beer I have made to date....even if it's 60 Minute Lite (4.9%)!!

Thanks Yooper! :mug:

I think I am having a problem with this. I transferred this one tonight to the secondary after letting it sit in the primary for two weeks. It has come out with a really strange color and is very milky. The color looks way off and the smell is very yeasty. This has not happened to me before and I am worried that this might be a bad batch. Any ideas about what happened? A homebrewing buddy suggested I let it sit in the secondary for several weeks.

IMAG0250.jpg

I think I am having a problem with this. I transferred this one tonight to the secondary after letting it sit in the primary for two weeks. It has come out with a really strange color and is very milky. The color looks way off and the smell is very yeasty. This has not happened to me before and I am worried that this might be a bad batch. Any ideas about what happened? A homebrewing buddy suggested I let it sit in the secondary for several weeks.

What yeast did you use? Also, I'd advise against transferring to a secondary at all for almost every beer, as it is unnecessary and in fact harmful.

As for your problem, I'd just let it sit until it drops clear, then bottle/keg. I wouldn't really consider a "yeasty" smell isn't a problem at all, especially at a mere 2 weeks into fermentation, so I'm sure you are fine.

They didn't have the yeast the recipe called for but recommended a yeast for a 5 gallon batch they said works great for ipas... I hope you are right, all of the comments in this thread had me really excited about this batch...

They didn't have the yeast the recipe called for but recommended a yeast for a 5 gallon batch they said works great for ipas... I hope you are right, all of the comments in this thread had me really excited about this batch...

Oh don't worry you'll be fine, just let it clear out and don't rush it.

Was the yeast they gave you dry or liquid? If liquid was it in a Wyeast smack pack or a White Labs glass vial? If it was dry I imagine it was either Danstar Nottingham (yellow package) or Fermentis US-05 (Red package), as either of those would be what I would recommend for dry.

Did it get stirred up when you racked to secondary? I have to move mine when I'm getting ready to transfer so I try to let my primary sit a while before I start siphoning. Don't know how harmful racking to secondary is if your sanitation is ok, as mentioned above. RDWHAHB! :)

Back