Yeast clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin_the_goods

Reaction score
I was told that I could take the yeast from the bottom of a SN Pale Ale and grow the yeast. I don't quite understand how this is done, could someone please elaborate.

in the sticky section right above where you posted there is "Yeast Washing Illustrated" check that out.
EDIT: yea, i read that wrong. I thought you were going to harvest the yeastcake after primary.

The Yeast Washing Illustrated post tells you how to save and re-use yeast that you've already used once, though.

To culture yeast from a bottle, you need to make a very small batch of unhopped "beer" by just boiling some DME in water to get a starting gravity of around 1.030-1.040.

Search for "culturing yeast" or something similar and you should find instructions. Or click Wiki at the top of the page and search there.

Sierra Nevada yeast, by the way, is the same as WLP001/Wyeast 1056/Safale S-05. Probably has taken on some house characteristics by now (don't know how often they start their yeast culture over, if ever), but basically the same.

Back