Help with Old Crystal malt!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markhip

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just found out my crystal malt (500grams/1lb) is a month and half out of date, it is pre-crushed and in a sealed bag. I was wondering is it still ok to use or will it have a deleterious effect on my brew. I was going to brew next week, but if I have to wait for an order for my LHBS it will take a couple of weeks?

Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated

Hi Mysterio

Thanks for the reply. It’s young’s pre-crushed malt, not sure when it was crushed. I suppose if I chew some it should taste malty?

If you chew some and it doesn't taste stale or rancid, it's ok. Depending on the lovibond, it is more likely to taste like caramel than malt.

It's always a good idea to nibble on a grain or two for every brew. That way you know what the malt should taste like, and you can make a valid comparison in situations like your current one.

-a.

What about toasting it in the oven for a few minutes to refresh it. This works for nuts and other grains and spices.

If you've taken reasonable precautions to keep the grain cool and dry, it will last for quite an extended period. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

The old 'it's only good for month' fable has pretty well been dismissed.

Back