Chocolate stout going crazy!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tag

Reaction score
Just brewed up an AHS Chocolate Stout kit this morning. After 1 1/2 hours it's coming out the lid!!! Never seen fermentation like this before. Will it settle down quickly or can it go like this for days? I rigged up a blowoff tube but the lid is still bulging!!!

Just brewed up an AHS Chocolate Stout kit this morning. After 1 1/2 hours it's coming out the lid!!! Never seen fermentation like this before. Will it settle down quickly or can it go like this for days? I rigged up a blowoff tube but the lid is still bulging!!!

It shouldn't last like that for toooo long. How warm is it? You're going to want to keep a close eye on temps with a fermentation that active.

Well, my fermenter is showing 85 degrees right now. should I move it outside where it's about 40 for a few hours to try to slow it down? I pitched at about 80 d.

Thanks

Well, my fermenter is showing 85 degrees right now. should I move it outside where it's about 40 for a few hours to try to slow it down? I pitched at about 80 d.

Thanks

That's WAY too high. That is why it is going so crazy. Crash cooling it now would shock the yeast and that wouldn't be too good either.

You want to keep it around 68 degrees for the whole brew. If you swing the temps too much though, you'll shock the yeast and they might not be too happy about what you've done to them.

My room temp is only 67. How can I cool it down?

AND - don't worry. It's a great brew. You will have many MANY people tell you "I don't like dark beer" and they will ask for more.

Also - after you bottle it stick some away to taste in 2 or 3 months for a REAL treat.

DCS_copy.jpg

Even if you do nuke the yeast like this don't worry it'll still be drinkable. Just not as good as it should have been.

Have I already messed up this batch?
I've only done three other batches so I'm still pretty green at this.

NO NO - it's all right - step off the ledge! NO WAIT! I didn't mean it that way!

If I recall when I did my DCS it was pretty violent also! Needed a blow off tube.

The yeast are just having a RAVE.

It's a dark beer so you should be fine - Dark beers are WONDERFUL to mess up as it takes a LOT of work to ruin anything!

It's all good!

Thanks. I'll come in where its warm then!!! LOL

Did I do something wrong that caused this or is this just par for the course sometimes? I think this is probably the "freshest" kit I've used if that means anything.

Thanks. I'll come in where its warm then!!! LOL

Did I do something wrong that caused this or is this just par for the course sometimes? I think this is probably the "freshest" kit I've used if that means anything.

The only thing you did "wrong" was to not have some sort off method for keeping this the proper temperature. Every batch will react differently, and you never can tell what will happen.

Do yourself a favor and go get an 18 gallon plastic tub.

You like soda? Well if yes, empty a few (6 to 8) and fill them up to within 1" of the top with water; freeze um.

Put your fermenter in the plastic tub and fill with cold tap water, just don't fill it so high that your fermenter starts to float.

Put a couple of your frozen water bottles into the tub and do as suggested earlier with the wet towel and fan.

Your temps will stay around the mid 60's this way and your fementation will be controlled.

--Or--

Drop the cash on a temp controller (Ranco, Love) and use an old chest freezer or extra fridge.

However you decide to do it, controlling your fermentation temperature is vital to producing great beer. Also doesn't hurt to get one of those stick on thermometers for your fementing vessel.

Thanks

My room temp is only 67. How can I cool it down?

Seems hard to comprehend that the fermentation is 18* above ambient room temp. little late but a swamp cooler is your best friend to regulate temps on the cheap.

Well I have it slowed down. I fashioned an insulated shelter outside where it's cold and it has slowed down but it's still pretty warm in the shelter. The blowoff is still going and I'll keep an eye on it so that it doesn't stop. I figure as long as it keeps chugging away I should be OK. I pitched at 80 degrees and it was only an hour and a half later when I found it so maybe my temps weren't high long enough to make any difference.

Well I have it slowed down. I fashioned an insulated shelter outside where it's cold and it has slowed down but it's still pretty warm in the shelter. The blowoff is still going and I'll keep an eye on it so that it doesn't stop. I figure as long as it keeps chugging away I should be OK. I pitched at 80 degrees and it was only an hour and a half later when I found it so maybe my temps weren't high long enough to make any difference.

Cooling it down now is going to stress your yeast. Just be warned that the drop to get it from 85 to 68 in a short time is not a great thing.

Also, the beginning of fermentation is the most critical time for temp control. I would still ride it out. You'll still get beer and stouts do tend to cover up flaws pretty well, but expect a few off flavors.

After about 3 hours I'm only down to about 78 degrees. Is that too fast?
There's a lot of stuff about this they didn't tell me about when I hired on here!!! LOL

Back