Malt Liquor Recipe (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coeceo

Reaction score
So I searched a little regarding Malt Liquor recipes and found mostly old threads.
Rather than raise the dead, here's a new one:

I'm interested in making a brew for this. I used to drink them quite a bit in college (St. Ides, Bull Ice, OE, etc...) And thought it could be fun to brew a batch for old times sake.

AHS has a clone kit which sounds interesting...But I have the yeast already and was wondering if anyone has experimented with their own version.

Just buy the 40oz's it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper and you won't waste all that time and ingredients making it yourself. Think about it, a forty for old time's sake is one thing. Having to deal with 5 gallons of it just sounds like a huge waste to me...

Donasay said:
but he can rebuild them and make them faster stronger and more tasty.

EXACTLY.

Plus:
-It will be funny.
-My friends and I will drink it.
-I will still get to brew.
-It will be cheaper than any other homebrew.

I will use a burger comparison. I can go to McDonalds and get a burger, they are cheap, unhealthy, crappy beef, but it will still be pretty tasty.

-or-

I spend some time building some burgers at my place, fresh beef, some onions and maybe garlic chopped up in it, nice rolls, grill it up real tasty, and now thats a work of art. Plus knowing I put so much TLC into my burger makes it even better.

Maybe the same will hold true for the Malt Liquor brew?

haha this is great. I was just thinking of running out and getting a few OEs since my beer funds are pretty much dry and all my beer is conditioning right now...

I am curious too, probably won't make it but would like to see a recipe

coeceo said:
EXACTLY.

Plus:
-It will be funny.
-My friends and I will drink it.
-I will still get to brew.
-It will be cheaper than any other homebrew.

I will use a burger comparison. I can go to McDonalds and get a burger, they are cheap, unhealthy, crappy beef, but it will still be pretty tasty.

-or-

I spend some time building some burgers at my place, fresh beef, some onions and maybe garlic chopped up in it, nice rolls, grill it up real tasty, and now thats a work of art. Plus knowing I put so much TLC into my burger makes it even better.

Maybe the same will hold true for the Malt Liquor brew?

Nope.... If you change the recipe it won't be Old E, Bull Ice, etc anymore. It will be something else entirely. IMO, still a waste of time and ingredients.

I've always noticed that drinks like the Hard Ice tea, and things that SWMBO drinks all say "Flavored Malt Beverage"

HOW!
I want to ferment something up that I can add watermelon flavor to! And Yes...I'm going to try a watermelon wheat.

c.n.budz said:
Nope.... If you change the recipe it won't be Old E, Bull Ice, etc anymore. It will be something else entirely. IMO, still a waste of time and ingredients.

if you enjoy brewing it and think it will be fun to have on hand, then it isn't a waste. furthermore, many major craft breweries make malt liquor including dogfish head, rogue, bear republic, and three floyd's, which are some of the most highly regarded breweries in the country.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dogfish-head-liquor-de-malt/33380/

A 40-ounce, bottle-conditioned malt liquor brewed with Apache Red (red), Hickory King (white), and Taos Blue (blue) corns. The "All-American" malt liquor is packaged with a hand-stamped, Dogfish Head brown paper bag. Scheduled for a 6/15/04 release. (limited availability, 300 cases) Bottled in 40 ounce bottles.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/three-floyds-dolemite-malt-liquor/55915/

A delicous lager brewed with a little bit of Illiana's finest corn.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rogue-dads-little-helper/58241/

"This ain't your Dad's malt liquor" - Brewmaster John Maier After the death of his wife, Henry Jackson Smart was left to raise 6 young children alone. His courage, love, selflessness and dedication inspired his daughter, Sonora Smart Dodd, to organize the First Father's Day on June 19th, 1910. In 1924 President Calvin Coolidge proclaimed the third Sunday in June as Fathers Day. President Nixon, in 1972, established it as a permanent day of national observance. Dad's is brewed with Harrington and Klages malts, Flaked Corn, Crystal Hops, Free Range Coastal Water, and Czech Pils Yeast. Available in the spring of 2005 in the classic 22-ounce Rogue micropiece. Measurements: 17 degrees Plato, IBU 25, Apparent Attenuation 77, Lovibond 10 degrees.

33380.jpg

brewt00l said:
Just brew a big old pale lager (7-9%) with plenty of corn and sugar, little to no hops and you're there.

LongHorn Malt Licca (Get the Hoooorn) :rockin:
2# Amber DME
10# Corn Sugar
1 oz. Hallertau at 60 minutes

Nottingham yeast.

Should give you a nice 8% Malt Liquor. :drunk:

Hmmm, what you probably want is heavy attenuation, probably should throw in a bunch of crushed beano into the fermenter...

EdWort said:
LongHorn Malt Licca (Get the Hoooorn) :rockin:
2# Amber DME
10# Corn Sugar
1 oz. Hallertau at 60 minutes

Should give you a nice 8% Malt Liquor. :drunk:

HOOK EM HORNS!!!!

(obligatory yet entirely not heartfelt UT fandom)

You know what, I like mickey's. I like it. I wouldn't mind making something resembling it. I also saw a beer competition with a special category for malt liquor when I was looking through the competitions on the bjcp website.

This is extreamly simple and i just bottled five gallons of this stuff and it is good enough to drink warm and you can brew it yourself without much trouble but youll be waiting for to months to bottle it and drink it up.

5 gallons regular tap water (boiled)
6 pounds dark brown sugar (disolved in the water)
2 Cups black mollases (disolved in water)
(allow to cool before adding yeast)
Add about 1/4 cup or 1/8 cup of regular bread yeast (dont knock it because its bakers yeast)

Chuck it all in a bucket agitate the yeast in and then agitate when ever you feel like it. Let sit for two months and then get to enjoying it.

My friends they call me Jack Brewin' Jack

I love malt liquor. Mickey's is one of my favorite football gameday drinks.

I don't know if I'd try that sugar water recipe though. No offense. It's not the bread yeast, either. I gots no prob with bread yeast.

This is extreamly simple and i just bottled five gallons of this stuff and it is good enough to drink warm and you can brew it yourself without much trouble but youll be waiting for to months to bottle it and drink it up.

Add about 1/4 cup or 1/8 cup of regular bread yeast (dont knock it because its bakers yeast)

Chuck it all in a bucket agitate the yeast in and then agitate when ever you feel like it. Let sit for two months and then get to enjoying it.

Is there a name for this? (hooch? haha) And this is actually good?

Malt Liquor, eh? Isn't that essentially an amped-up American Pilsner? That's what I'd do - make a CAP to come in at ~7-8%ABV. You want 70% malt to 30% adjunct, IBU less than 20, and you want a lager. Here's a starting point. Rice solids can be replaced with rice syrup, corn sugar or even cane sugar.

7 lbs extra-light LME
3 lbs rice solids

0.5 oz Cluster 7%AA - 60
0.25 oz Cluster 7%AA - 20

OG 1074
IBU 18

Ferment cool with a very clean ale yeast if you can't lager.

To keep the color as pale as possible, boil as large a quantity as your setup can handle, and add the majority of the malt extract late. Search HBT for "late extract addition", and you'll encounter any number of threads that'll walk you through it.

Cheers,

Bob

Is there a name for this? (hooch? haha) And this is actually good?

It's called a wash. I imagine you need some fancy copper to make it drinkable.

Look, I don't want to make out, I just want straight answers.

Yah, a wash is what you then heat in the distillation process. I wouldn't call the posted recipe "malt" anything because it has no malt. With a better yeast choice the posted recipe is basically the wash for distilling rum.

Distilling is bad, mmmmkay?

Distilling is bad? I thought getting caught distilling was bad. (Quiet Pinkey, I must now rethink my plan to take over the world!)

+1 on the Mickey's! I've even been known to enjoy a Little Kings now and then.

I say do it. If you like Malt liquor, even for nostalgia's sake, then brew it. That's the beauty of the hobby. You can brew something that might offend the heck out of some of us (zima anyone?), but if you like it, that's what matters the most.

And on the positive side, it will be a challenge. Kind of like brewing a good light American lager.

Just make sure to pour a little liquor for the homies. :mug:

I LOLed

Beer in a 40oz suddenly becomes Malt Liquor.

40ozMaltLiquor.com :: Little King's Cream Ale

If you want a laugh, Malt Liquor judging for the discriminating pallet.

This **** ain't nearly as bad as I thought it would be (at least taste wise). I don't know what the 'cream ale' **** is all about...I was right, this is similiar to Mickeys. It's also similar to some import I've had but can't put my finger on. Not bad at all, I wouldn't drink/buy it again but I'm pleasantly surprised, espically considering how much I thought this might suck. I drank this **** while watching the final episode of Dawson's Creek and crying like a baby. I wouldn't drink this again, but if I did all those memories of Jen dying would come flooding back and probably draw a tear to my eye. this is a 4 of 10, much too weak and useless to buy again. i think the name is kind of gay and i dont like its image. worthless. Buzz: C-, Taste: B-

ha ha! That 40 review site is f'ing amazing! I like how he included a self-portrait of him drinking the 40. That same discriminating reviewer had this to say:

"The flavor of beer or malt liquor is good enough for me; I don't need any 'cream' taste in there."

Try Rouge out of Oragen, they have a deliciouse Malt Liquor! They also happen to list their ingredients. Seriously, it is a GENIUS BEVERAGE!!!!!!!!

Maybe you can use chicken feed for the corn in the mash?

For 100% authenticity, then yes, by all means.

I'd read recently about DFH's liquor de malt using red, white, and blue corn. Might have to try that with some stone ground cornmeal or something.

Back