quick help if anyone's on

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just throw them straight into your wort. Unless you're using a CFC or a chilling plate, it won't matter.

i use whole and pellet hops and i don't strain it one bit. they will fall out during fermintation. unless your going for commercial clear beer, i really wouldn't worry about it.

As everyone else has said, just dump them in. I use 100% pellet hops with a CFC, I don't filter and I don't strain; the whirlpool is your friend! :mug:

5408-whirlpool_result.jpg

bradsul said:
As everyone else has said, just dump them in. I use 100% pellet hops with a CFC, I don't filter and I don't strain; the whirlpool is your friend! :mug:

Yeah, that's what I do too. You get the bulk of them out that way with the least amount of hassle. What's left behind comes out after the primary.

You'd love what I did for this. I did take one of those kitchen strainer thingys and use it, but not how you told me. I put the pellets in it, hooked my stirring spoon thru the handle and dropped it in at an angle. The pellets broke up, but it was only an ounce and a half and I think it kept most in.

Now I've got a LOT of hot and cold break. Should I be siphoning, or can I just dump into the fermenter and rack to 2ndary 8-10 days later?

PS: Brad, that's awesome how you did that with just stirring!

Even with a pump, the whirlpool works great with pellets. I usually use irish moss, but last time I just stirred it around a few times and started the flow. It clogged my pump right as it started, but I cleaned that out and then ran 20 more gallons through with no problem.

bradsul said:

So you whirlpool before you cool? Doesn't that leave 30 minutes or so until you are going through the chiller? Don't you want to chill as soon as possible after the boil?

PseudoChef said:
So you whirlpool before you cool? Doesn't that leave 30 minutes or so until you are going through the chiller? Don't you want to chill as soon as possible after the boil?
It actually only takes about 10 seconds to start the whirlpool and then I let it sit uncovered for 10 minutes to allow it time to coast to a stop - this also allows any leftover DMS to escape and for everything to settle to the bottom. While the whirlpool coasts to a stop I use the time to run starsan through my CFC and get it setup. I then gravity drain through my CFC which takes 17 minutes.

chemist308 said:
... PS: Brad, that's awesome how you did that with just stirring!
Stirring and irish moss in the boil. I use a little bit extra irish moss to help act as a coagulant and it gives the result you see there. That picture is 100g of pellet hops.

Back