Secondary and adding sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So if i transfer my beer to the bottling bucket for secondary fermentation, when I'm ready to bottle can I just add my sugar to the secondary before I bottle? or do I have to transfer it again?

A bottling bucket should generally be used for bottling. If you must rack to a secondary then you should get a 5 gallon bucket (assuming this is a 5 gallon batch) so you limit the amount of headspace.

I also question how airtight the bucket is through the spigot. If tightened wrong, the bucket can leak, I know this because I've done it. Also, you really need to sanitize the spigot and every single thread. It seems so much easier to buy a second fermentation bucket to actually use as a secondary.

As for adding priming sugar, you'll have to mix it which is a bad idea. If you rack to a bottling bucket when you siphon you will mix the priming sugar. So again, it seems best to get another bucket.

Why are you using a secondary? Just curious.

I used my bottling bucket for a secondary once,& the rest of the yeast/trub settled out in it. When I added the priming solution,it got stired up again. Having a seperate secondary is better if you're oaking,or adding other things like fruit. Otherwise,a secondary isn't really needed.

I would probably transfer again, because their will be some trub in bottom of bucket and when you add priming sugar you need to stir it real good to mix evenly in the beer and then you would be stirring the trub with it. Not good.

I wanted to transfer it and let it sit in the secondary for a while til I got my bottles in a couple days to bottle it but now I'm thinking that's not such a great idea...

Just leave it in primary. It'll be fine for a couple of days. No worries of yeast autolysis at our level of brewing.:mug:

Latest posts

Back