Dr. Pepper clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daft

Reaction score
Homemade fruit flavors are pretty easy with sodastream , but leave me craving coke and dr. pepper. I tackled coke in other topics, but has anyone found a simple way to mimic Dr Pepper? I don't like it's commercial clones and I didn't like the look of some complex clone recipes, one of which I have is thought to be an actual early prototype from the inventor.

I was thinking of mixing canned frozen concentrate of berry punch with prune juice and agave syrup as a start. I hope the prune juice might be concentrated since it is reconstituted dry plum, but probably will have a weak contribution. Yes, I know the company has stated there is no prune in it, but the essence of taste to me is kind of oxidized plum/raspberry/caffeine.

Commercial Dr Pepper seems changeable to me... not always good. The added-cherry version was really weak. The diet version is almost, but not quite, good enough to prevent me from projectile vomiting as I do with any fake sugar taste. I just had some Dr pepper from bottles and it tasted much better than cans which seem to impart an aluminum taste like there was no inner coating. It seemed better when I stopped by their bottling museum in Waco, and the nearby LBJ ranch which sold it in cute 20 sided polygonal cans.

Maybe I should just source the official syrup and experiment with higher concentrations or carb levels. The bottles I got started off hugely over carbed... the first opening sprayed all over my livingroom like a daisy cutter bomb before I even got the the (new, strange, brittle) top entirely off. I've never seen that in my life, but maybe they supercharged it because it leaks gas... the end of that 6 pack was weakly charged.

Daft, I don't think anyone has been able to make a clone of Dr. Pepper. It's one that I would be interested in, since I'm trying to wean my kids off the store stuff. If you ever find a recipe that comes really close, let me know. It's a popular drink around here.

Yes, I know the company has stated there is no prune in it, but the essence of taste to me is kind of oxidized plum/raspberry/caffeine.

Virgil's make a Dr. Better soda that contains "a touch of prune juice" (ingredient is listed just after phosphoric acid, so I'm not expecting much of it). Dr. Better is the only soda I've found that resembles Dr. Pepper. In fact, it's maybe a little better give it a try.

That said, I've had no luck finding a clone recipe. I would love to find one. Buying syrup isn't even an option for me because I can't find caffeine-free syrup.

Not what you are looking for, but, when I was in the bar business, we used to sell "Dr Pepper shots" at the pub using a 1/2 filled small/slender beer glass of BMC and drop a jigger of amaretto into it. Down the hatch! Yum.

Not what you are looking for, but, when I was in the bar business, we used to sell "Dr Pepper shots" at the pub using a 1/2 filled small/slender beer glass of BMC and drop a jigger of amaretto into it. Down the hatch! Yum.

You got to add the 151 and a match. Flamming Dr Pepper to kill the liver. The liver is evil and must be punished.

I have heard a lot of the flavour comes from drupe fruits(peachs, plums, cherries, apricots, mangos, nectarines, etc). Its supposedly 23 flavours in total, if you believe the advertising. I guess that makes sense with the prune(plums) juice and the amaretto(apricot pits) being suggested.

You can get many of those flavors at half price from Capella thru friday night using discount code CRAZYMAY just for the small 13ml bottles at http://capellaflavordrops.com/flavordrops.aspx

I'll give fig, apricot, etc a try which I have on hand. I had stopped using them except for cola because the taste is kind of weak (adding too much makes the taste weird). They are ultra concentrated and just give a suggestion of a taste which should be supported by other stuff too. Their compactness makes the mailing charge quite low.

I did some imperfect experiments without prune juice, just before that sale expires.

I have a tendency to be lucky only the first time, so created something like a nice apricot tea with: a bit of berry punch (froze can, with ingredients grape, pear, trace of strawb), dark corn syrup, squirt of real lemon juice, and drops of apricot and fig flavoring (added to carbed water). Felt like a promising departure point.

Then I tried more berry punch and agave syrup with drops of fig, pomegranate, and amaretto flavoring. Bleh, the agave and punch dominated with a sunshiny sweet taste instead of sulky dr pepper, and the flavor drops combined into unidentifiable confusion. Darn it, I forgot to add lemon juice for tart. Adding it afterwards only helped a bit though.

Back