Should i be concerned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willbrew

Reaction score
I brewed a mint chocolate stout on sunday and i pitched my yeast arround 5 pm sunday night. The next morning the airlock was bubbling away through the next morning, which was this morning. Tonight when i got home the activity slowed tremendously to one bubble about every two to three min. So strong activity for 36 hours then stopped. Should i be concerned or is this paranoia too soon?

It's doomed. Kidding... it's fine, completely normal. Let it sit for at least three weeks (not a requirement, but my min. standard), then check the hydrometer. Oh... and get ready for the bombardment of "don't judge fermentation by bubbles" comments. ;)

He is right, the beer will be fine. Never trust the airlock. Also as stated before, be prepared for the airlock lecture.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was dreading a crappy beer. This batch had me excited so its good to hear positive responses

agroff383 said:
just curious what kind of yeast did you use and how much.

I used an activator smack pack irish ale yeast. According to my lhbs those dont need starters

BBKing said:
My only concern about this beer is that I dont have the recipe :)

Double chocmint stout

Style: Oatmeal Stout
Type: All Grain Calories: 196
Rating: 0.0 Efficiency: 70 %
IBU's: 40.25 Boil Size: 6.50 Gal
Color: 52.4 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Boil Time: 60 minutes
Estimated Actual
Brew Date: - 10/23/2011
OG: 1.060 1.060
FG: 1.015 1.015
ABV: 5.90 % 5.89 %
Serve Date: 12/03/2011 / /

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp Estimated Actual
Primary 14 days @ 68.0°F 10/23/2011 10/23/2011
Secondary 28 days @ 72.0°F 11/06/2011 -

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
8.00 lbs 53.33 % Pale Malt (2 Row) UK 60 mins 1.036
2.00 lbs 13.33 % Pale Malt, Maris Otter 60 mins 1.038
2.00 lbs 13.33 % Chocolate Malt 60 mins 1.028
2.00 lbs 13.33 % Oats, Flaked 60 mins 1.037
1.00 lbs 6.67 % Kiln Coffee Malt 60 mins 1.034

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 22.74 Cluster 60 mins 7.00
1.00 ozs 0.77 Williamette 1 mins 5.50
1.00 ozs 16.73 Northern Brewer 20 mins 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Irish Ale Wyeast Labs 1084

Additions
(none)

Mash Profile
(none)

Carbonation
(none)

Notes
Added 1/2 oz peppermint extract at yeast pitching

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.754

Sent from my iPod

I am concerned about adding the peppermint extract when you added your yeast. I would think that you would get more of that flavor if you added it to the secondary. It might and I just say might have some of the flavor wiped out by the yeast. Taste it before you rack to the secondary and if you want more then just add some to the secondary.

cabal09 said:
I am concerned about adding the peppermint extract when you added your yeast. I would think that you would get more of that flavor if you added it to the secondary. It might and I just say might have some of the flavor wiped out by the yeast. Taste it before you rack to the secondary and if you want more then just add some to the secondary.

I bought a 1 oz bottle of extract and i used half at the beginning just as an experiment and if its not too strong i will add some more at secondary. I just hope the flavor of the peppermint isnt affected by the yeast. I really hope this thing turns out great

Take a gravity reading & taste the sample. Best way to see what you've got. Some beers just finish quickly.

I used an activator smack pack irish ale yeast. According to my lhbs those dont need starters

FYI - this is bogus advice, if they really meant that smack packs don't ever require starters... The beer you brewed is right on the outside of the OG range for pulling off with a single smack pack and no starter - but brew something with any higher OG, and you definitely will need a starter (or multiple smack packs).

Before you do any bigger beers, do some searches here for starters, and play with the starter calculator at Mr Malty.

And enjoy!!!

EDIT: That came across a bit strong - you'd definitely WANT a starter for a bigger beer. You can surely ferment one without it, but you'll be happier with the end product!

Back