Looking for a small/table-beer extract recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarka

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have any extract recipes for a low-alcohol beer (AKA small-beer, table-beer in Belgium)? I figure if I'm going to drink the amount I did last night on a regular basis I should try making something with less of a kick to it. Besides I quite like the idea of enjoying beer all through the week guilt-free. :)

I'm also going to have a go at milds; I'm planning an Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale but pointers to other good ones would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

I'm also going to have a go at milds; I'm planning an Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale but pointers to other good ones would be appreciated.

That was my first thought.

My second thought is the Brewer's Best red ale kit. Maybe don't buy the kit, but the recipe of
3.3lbs light LME
2 lbs light DME

Steep: 12oz Crystal 60, 1oz Black Patent

1oz Willamette 60min
1oz willamette 5 min

S-04

It was my very first brew, and one of my best for sure. OG of about 1.042, ABV just barely north of 4%. Actually, I just inspired myself to brew this one again, AG style. Added to on-deck.

You should be able to design your own recipe without too much trouble. Just keep the OG below 1040 - probably closer to 1030.

I make a farmhouse-style table beer a couple of times per year with extract. One 3.3-lb can of wheat LME, one pound of wheat DME, one ounce of low-alpha hops boiled for 30 minutes, a handful of cracked coriander, a handful of dried bitter orange peel at flameout. Ferment with S-33 (next time, I'm gonna try T-58). I actually carbonate this by kegging it before fermentation is really complete. But while that's historically accurate - I take this beer to Wars of the Roses reenactments - it's pretty freaking complicated to explain. ;)

If you brew Orfy's Mild, you won't be displeased; it's excellent! The recipe in my drop-down is (I flatter myself) pretty darn good, too! :D

Bob

I just opened a 60/- last night I brewed 3 weeks ago, really really good. the recipe is here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/scottish-60-a-72051/ the only thing I did different was I used Marris Otter instead of normal UK pale 2-row, dark munich instead of light, and pitched Nottingham instead of the California ale yeast. The result was dark, malty and oh so tasty.

Back