Mechanical Engineers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
To all the ME's on the board, I have a question for you.

What kind of math are you using in your every day tasks?

I'm wanting to be one, because I know there is always a need for them, and they get paid decent. I just need to know what math is involved.

really mostly just trig, i use a few different equations from statics or dynamics.

are you going to school right now for mechanical engineering?

so with your screen name on here, do you drive a mustang, i have an 06 mustang gt, great fun

Do you know what ME's use for Birth control?

Their personalities :D Sorry couldnt resist, old joke that doesnt get the opprotunity very often.

really mostly just trig, i use a few different equations from statics or dynamics.

are you going to school right now for mechanical engineering?

so with your screen name on here, do you drive a mustang, i have an 06 mustang gt, great fun

I'm not in school yet, I'm still serving in the Active Duty Air Force.

And yes, I do drive a Mustang, I own a 07 Alloy Metallic GT. I love her to death. :rockin:

Actually, the CAD/CAM software and other packages will do most of the math for you. I did use a lot of trig, but not any more.

Like AutoCad? I used that in 3 years of high school, and in the college I took already.

Although I'm not an ME (although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D), it all depends on what you end up doing. Most likely though, you will probably need conceptual Calculus, obviously all Vector Mathematics should be second nature, conceptual Linear Algebra (so you can make Matlab work for you hehe). You'll probably be spared some of the Linear/and/or Discreet Signals/Systems, but you'd probably have to learn about LaPlace and Fourier transforms,etc..especially if you go into a hybrid discipline like Control Systems, or something like Vibrational Analysis.

To be honest, most of the Math will be localized to when you are in school. After that, it's a toss up...but you'd most likely need to have a conceptual understanding of many forms of Mathematics.

My major was ME (06 grad) and I worked as one for a year. I used plenty of basic trig and the occasional basic calculus. I used more knowledge from classes like mechanics of systems. Never used any of the calc 2,3, or differential equations.

im not a ME but im going to college to be one and i work with a lot of them. The math you will use really depends on what you're going to end up doing. Where i work we have tons of programs that do most of the math for you.

Not much. I was worried about the same thing while in college. I was just good enough to get by in most of my math classes. But now I work for da gubmint :rockin: and hardly use any of it. I'll pull out some basic statistics from time to time, but most of my work is project management and configuration management. I've forgotten most of what I learned in school, and that was only about 5 years ago. Like others have said, it really depends on what type of job you get.

Although I'm not an ME (although I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night :D), it all depends on what you end up doing. Most likely though, you will probably need conceptual Calculus, obviously all Vector Mathematics should be second nature, conceptual Linear Algebra (so you can make Matlab work for you hehe). You'll probably be spared some of the Linear/and/or Discreet Signals/Systems, but you'd probably have to learn about LaPlace and Fourier transforms,etc..especially if you go into a hybrid discipline like Control Systems, or something like Vibrational Analysis.

To be honest, most of the Math will be localized to when you are in school. After that, it's a toss up...but you'd most likely need to have a conceptual understanding of many forms of Mathematics.

+1 here

Also not an ME. I am an EE. I think unless you go for a phd and then pursue research - no worries. I actually miss the math. I agree about Matlab, though it is a mainstay for analysis. I also agree that most of the math will be localized in school - and conceptual will be important once your done.

The thing math will kill is your ability to spell.

I'm not an ME or an EE, I'm a CET but in the same boat. All that calculus is for naught. I use algebra and trig, but never, ever used any calculus at all.

Do you know what ME's use for Birth control?

Their personalities :D Sorry couldnt resist, old joke that doesnt get the opprotunity very often.
I thought that it was Lawyers that used their personalities for birth control:)

Get a copy of Solidworks if you can. Great fun, and very helpful for design. Although the math is still important to get through so you know how thing sought to be put together, even if you dont' actually need all of it for your work.

You need math and lots of it to get through school, and to understand it. It is sad to say, but the people who could not grasp the theoretical and mathematical backbone of the engineering theory just never fully understood anything we did in school. Now that I am out of school, I don't use math very much at all. You only need to learn it to fully understand why things are happening the way they are and to be able to better predict a given outcome, based on the situation. Engineering school was tough but if you are alright with a C average it isn't that bad. You would be amazed at all the idiots who get through engineering school. Really, I wish I didn't know about them, the world seemed so much safer before....

Depends on what you are doing/who you are working for.

For years I did tons of statics and dynamics: dynamic loads, impulse energy calc's etc. Now, not so much. However, the math you will get in college will serve more of a purpose than you expect...

There is a ton of software that "does the math" for you, but that isn't engineering. That software can be run by (almost) anyone. It is the math you will need to setup the software to do the calculation, and MOST important, the math you use to CHECK THE ANSWER given by the program.

The quickest way to becoming an unemployed ME is to NOT check the calc's and have your design cause a loss of life, or more importantly today it seems, a loss of money to redesign and build ;)

My $0.02!
Eric

Back