Mashing @ 156*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plankbr

Reaction score
Question here. I am batch sparging in a 10 gallon rubbermaid converted cooler. I use Sparge Pal on the iPhone. To achieve a 156* mash temp, it's stating that I strike with 170* water. My question is: Will this kill the conversion??? The owner of the LHBS said that was way too hot to strike with. Lost here. Advice please?

Thanks

Question here. I am batch sparging in a 10 gallon rubbermaid converted cooler. I use Sparge Pal on the iPhone. To achieve a 156* mash temp, it's stating that I strike with 170* water. My question is: Will this kill the conversion??? The owner of the LHBS said that was way too hot to strike with. Lost here. Advice please?

Thanks

Yes it will kill the conversion. That is why we sparge with such warm water. To rinse the sugars off the grains which are more soluble at higher temperatures, and to denature the enzymes to stop conversion. This helps 'set' the profile of the beer. If you rinsed with the same temp water as your mash, not only would you be getting worse efficiency, but the enzymes will still be active, so if you say, drain to your Bk and temps start to drop, the enzymes will continue conversion which could leave you with a wort that may be equivalent to something like a 148 degree mash..... Make sense :drunk:

Strike temp of 170 sounds just about right for a mash temp of 156. My strike temps usually end up about 12-14 degrees hotter than mash.
I routinely shoot a few degrees higher than that and then stir to bring it down to mash temps (easier than trying to add hot water and get it up to temperature)

Not gonna kill conversion because the grain will absorb all that heat immediately and the temps will come right down as well.

Advice: Make sure you preheat the cooler before with some hot (not boiling) water and then the cooler will not absorb a lot of that heat.
Also... STIR.... STIR...... STIR!!!!!!!! Mix it up well!

Hope this helps.

Yes it will kill the conversion. That is why we sparge with such warm water. To rinse the sugars off the grains which are more soluble at higher temperatures, and to denature the enzymes to stop conversion. This helps 'set' the profile of the beer. If you rinsed with the same temp water as your mash, not only would you be getting worse efficiency, but the enzymes will still be active, so if you say, drain to your Bk and temps start to drop, the enzymes will continue conversion which could leave you with a wort that may be equivalent to something like a 148 degree mash..... Make sense :drunk:

He's talking about mashing in, not sparging.

I try to come in at 175' and cool down as necessary. The temperature of your grains and mash tun are going to pull you into range.

And... if you are having trouble holding 156F, try this :fro: You may be able to strike at a lower temp.

Using the down jacket I can hold within 1 degree over 120 minutes. I drilled a small hole in the center of the lid, and stuck my thermometer in it... I read it through the neck

WP_20131010_001.jpg

Latest posts

Back