First!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I just found this........and where the he!! is everyone?

What do we do here?

Later....TangleFoot-out

I guess we can talk about all the trials and tribulations of being Kansas homebrewers :D

There's more of usin's than I thought.

BTW...SWMBO and I went down to Johnson's Garden Center a couple days ago to kinda check them out.

SWMBO was disappointed because it's a little early for plants and I wasn't overly impressed with the little corner of wine and brewing supplies but it would be handy if ya lived close.

I am about 75 miles away, so guess I'll still use the net.

Later........TangleFoot-out

New to brewing via the Mr.Beer I got for Christmas, surprise, surprise. However, it's been a great kick-off for something I've wanted to do for a long time, but never thought I'd have the time to do it. Come to find out, I don't have the time to do it, but who needs to sleep and study? (EE major at KU)

If you guys know of a good, cheap 5-6.5 gal brewing kit for sale, let me know. I'd like a slightly larger one, because the wife (SWMBO??) wants to do wine too.

Some great response...considering the KS factor. Any votes for a tap house meet and greet? Maybe a support the "local" craft brewery? How far yall from Free State? Be about an hour for me and SWMBO.

My trips to Free State are weekend trips. It's close to 3 hours for me.

Wichita has some great breweries too. Wichita Brewing Co., River City, and Hank Is Wiser (Cheney). Things are really starting to come around down here :)

Cheney has a microbrew?!! That's awesome. I'll have to get down there n try that out next time I'm that way.... I don't really do a lot of traveling though I'd like to. Free State's a couple hours.

Cheney has a microbrew?!! That's awesome. I'll have to get down there n try that out next time I'm that way.... I don't really do a lot of traveling though I'd like to. Free State's a couple hours.

http://www.hankiswiserbrewery.com/ Their beers range from good to boring (I love their IPA but thier pale ale - canadian ale - wheat are all bland to me) but they have a good looking bottle selection and the absolutely best atmosphere for a bar I've ever been to. Gone in their the past 3 weekends in a row, 3 weeks ago being our first time, and they treat us like they've known us forever. Really, really good folks. Worth the long drive IMO.

They have a big anniversary party at the end of this month where they will have 20-30 something of their beers on tap over 2 days. Alot of oak aged and imperial stuff, sounded like a great list. Check em out!

I need to come up your way, theres a bunch of breweries up north that I've never been able to try: Blind Tiger, 23rd St, Little Apple, LB Brewing...

I just finished a growler of IPA from Blind Tiger. It was really good. LB in Hays is very good too. I went to school out there but, didn't have much of an appreciation for real beers back then.

Wichita! I would enjoy seeing what others do. A few friends and I started brewing beer, but mostly have gotten info from the internet and youtube videos. Still, our three beers have been pretty decent.

Scottsaxman, yeah the WHO meets monthly. We meet in an anex of the brewery/pizza place on Tyler. The WHO also has a facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/wichitahomebrewers

I've been brewing for about 1.5 years now.. I "think" I'm getting the hang of it. My oatmeal stout scored a 42 at the NHC. I've now gotten two of my friends hooked on home brewing :)

One of the Wichita homebrew club members is from Dodge City. You are not entirely alone out there!

Hey Kansas, I'm currently in the beer paradise of Colorado, but lived in KS for many years. Kinsley, Larned, Lyons, Buhler, Nickerson, And Hutchinson. When I was there, brewing supplies were hard to find and I found myself Mail ordering (before the internet) from the Brew Hut In Aurora. SWMBO and I have considered retiring in Hutchinson, and I am wondering what the home brewing community is like now. Especially in Hutch. Where do you get your supplies, and is there a decent brew pub, or other establishment that serves good craft beer. If all you got is BMC, than I might as well stay here. I appreciate any feedback, and I do miss the wheat. Cheers.

Chessking, I had a message typed up n then thought it was overly critical of Hutch. Then luck would have it, we went there this weekend. Hutch sucks. I grew up not too far outside of it and it's just got worse n worse. There are some good subculture kinds of things I saw but it didn't look like prosparity was coming any time soon.. Its better up north and we were looking for old furniture to modify for a house project on the southside. It looks like Tony Flores(sp) has a nice pocket around the anchor inn (pretty good Mexican food) but tough elsewhere.

Hey Kansas, I'm currently in the beer paradise of Colorado, but lived in KS for many years. Kinsley, Larned, Lyons, Buhler, Nickerson, And Hutchinson. When I was there, brewing supplies were hard to find and I found myself Mail ordering (before the internet) from the Brew Hut In Aurora. SWMBO and I have considered retiring in Hutchinson, and I am wondering what the home brewing community is like now. Especially in Hutch. Where do you get your supplies, and is there a decent brew pub, or other establishment that serves good craft beer. If all you got is BMC, than I might as well stay here. I appreciate any feedback, and I do miss the wheat. Cheers.

You should consider a bit north and retire in Manhattan; it's really becoming a nice place (it's had good growth since I was in college in the late 80s), and Tallgrass Brewery is there. Not entirely sure about homebrew shops, as I live in Olathe (which has several). Worst-case would be Topeka, but I think I heard about a shop in Manhattan somewhere...

Wichita probably has the closest brew shop and club, about an hour from Hutchinson. There are several good breweries and liquor stores here also.

Thanks guys. Sounds like Hutch could be a good place to open a brew shop and maybe attempt to change the beer culture of the area. Start small, work with the local homebrew club. Perhaps a future Tap room. SWMBO may not be keen to the idea, but a guy can dream. If I remember correctly the water is not ideal to brewing. Hank Is Wiser has done well in Cheney, although as a brew pub, not a homebrew store.

I remember the Anchor Inn, and you are correct. The food is great.

You'd always be welcome here in Salina. Heck, I'm sick of stressing about how old my wet yeast is so I'd buy from ya. I have zero guilt ordering online but, I,d pay a extra to not Cary this inventory. Whatever you decide, I've got a cold beer waiting for ya..

I swear.. I'm smarter than this phone's keyboard makes me appear. Come have a brew with me n my club. It's a great group of guys that would be tickled pink to try your brews too..

Just joined. Been lurking and learning a lot. I'm from the big town of Pratt. Only have a few brews under my belt. One really good, a few decent ones, and some crappy! Getting better each time.

Welcome to the forum Medic53...especially the Kansas section.

I've been brewing for a couple of years and I still make some good, some decent and the occassional Crappy brews.

This is a very good site for information and learning.

Later............TangleFoot-out

Yes there is I don't know who to contact for sure but if you contact Tallgrass Brewing or JWL craft brewers Jim Lero in Lawrence they should know. I think JWL makes a trip to the farmers market in Manhattan and will also bring supplies

I just found wichitahomebrewers.org . I have lived here 40 years . I need to get out more . I plan on bringing in some of my beers to get sampled by someone other than me .

Back