Centennial hops smell like burnt rubber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerCribben

Reaction score
Ok, so I am growing a centennial hop rhizome and it is producing a nice amount of hop cones. I picked a few of the yellow/browning ones off of my plant today because they are obviously done growing and it's time to dry them out and instead of pine and citrus, I am getting a STRONG whiff of burnt rubber smell from them. Anyone else get this ever?

My first year centennial smelled a little rubbery last year but that was after they had been in a plastic bag for a while. I just went outside to smell them... I'm not getting a rubber smell. Do the green ones smell good?

My first year centennial smelled a little rubbery last year but that was after they had been in a plastic bag for a while. I just went outside to smell them... I'm not getting a rubber smell. Do the green ones smell good?

I'll go out there tomorrow morning and pull one of the green ones...lets hope that is the issue

Yep, the green ones smell MUCH nicer. I noticed also that (other than the spider mite infestation) a brownish powder has been covering some of the leaves that were the most damaged by mites, and that it was also covering a dead fly or two that actually seemed stuck to the leaves. Is this "powdery mildew" and could that be the burnt rubber smell possibly?

I have never gotten a rubber smell from any of mine. not sure why u would have that smell.

Back