Jay's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smata67 said:
I might make it out to Jay's on saturday. Perhaps stop at Okra's for lunch. First visit. Wish me luck.

I have been only going to Jay's for my supplies. I have been very happy, how was your visit and how does it compare to others you have been to? I live in Stafford so it is a drive but I work nearby so I stop on my way home sometimes.

I did not make it out there, but I did talk to him on the phone. He has the basics. Unfortunately I'm moving towards organic as much as possible and he is not carrying anything that qualifies. It is also about two hours round trip, it makes more sense for me to mail order.

Nice place, good selection of grains, hops and yeast as well as all the other basic stuff. Its a self service place which it really kewl. Derek (owner) knows his stuff and is very nice to talk to. I visit a couple times a month.

BTW, what and where is Okra's?

Sheldon

Okra's is a cajun place further down Center Street. I've never been, but it would be a 2-fer which would make the trip more attractive. I hope to someday have a homebrew store within 15 minutes drive, I'd probably run out of brew less often. I did talk to Derek on the phone, agreed, a straight up guy, I wish I could give him my business.

He has a program that provides a 10% discount after you have 5 purchases. The discount runs a full year. might be worth the trip. I left him a couple sample brews and he was nice enough to write me a postcard in thanks.

Sheldon

I have gone to jay's and he was helpful. I visited one on patrick Henry drive of of rt 7 and they were awesome huge huge selection of everything! I too live in stafford but will drive there anytime i need supplies. The staff was knowledgable and extremely friendly

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I visited one on patrick Henry drive of of rt 7 and they were awesome huge huge selection of everything!
The staff was knowledgable and extremely friendly

That would be "myLHBS", who had bottle caps when Derek didn't (seriously, dude?) and had a lot more (and more attentive) staff. Being across the street from Dogfish doesn't hurt either- and they're closer; I think I have a new brew shop.

Thats what i was thinking. Its worth the extra drive time.

Not a fan of MyLHBS. Price gouging on a lot of things (pretty standard northern virginia MO). I buy there because I have to sometimes.

I'd much rather go to Jay's, but he doesn't carry very much in terms of ingredients. Pretty good on the malts but the hop and yeast is mediocre at best.

Both provide a pretty awful grain crush, run it twice or do it yourself.

YMMV

I have been going to Jay's for a little less than 4 years. I remember when he was in the itty-bitty old shop in Clifton. His newer space is so much better. Derrik is a good dude and is always willing to talk shop or about whatever else. Once I got the 10% discount I've never lost it which is awesome because it pays for the sales tax plus a little more.

There's 2 breweries within walking distance from Jay's too which makes it worth the trip. (Bad Wolf and Heritage) and as stated, Okra's is pretty good too. New Orleans style place... They have nothing but Abita on tap FYI. All-in-all you could easily waste a whole day getting homebrew supplies there. There's even lots of shopping in old town if you have the wife with you.

My only gripe with Jay's is it's sort of a crap-shoot if he'll have what you're looking for so bring a substitution chart with you for grains, hops and yeast. He'll have most of what you're looking for though. FWIW I've never had an issue with the crush there.

I've moved further out but I still manage to go there when I'm in the area. As for now, I bought a mill and I've been ordering my supplies from more beer and getting free shipping. I'll still support Jay's when I can though.

I have been going to Jay's for a little less than 4 years. I remember when he was in the itty-bitty old shop in Clifton. His newer space is so much better. Derrik is a good dude and is always willing to talk shop or about whatever else. Once I got the 10% discount I've never lost it which is awesome because it pays for the sales tax plus a little more.

There's 2 breweries within walking distance from Jay's too which makes it worth the trip. (Bad Wolf and Heritage) and as stated, Okra's is pretty good too. New Orleans style place... They have nothing but Abita on tap FYI. All-in-all you could easily waste a whole day getting homebrew supplies there. There's even lots of shopping in old town if you have the wife with you.

My only gripe with Jay's is it's sort of a crap-shoot if he'll have what you're looking for so bring a substitution chart with you for grains, hops and yeast. He'll have most of what you're looking for though. FWIW I've never had an issue with the crush there.

I've moved further out but I still manage to go there when I'm in the area. As for now, I bought a mill and I've been ordering my supplies from more beer and getting free shipping. I'll still support Jay's when I can though.

now you have Kettles & Grains in Leesburg & Brew LoCo in Lansdowne (Ashburn).

not sure about pricing vs Jay's or myLHBS, but it sure beats the snot out of driving to Manassas or 7 Corners.

now you have Kettles & Grains in Leesburg & Brew LoCo in Lansdowne (Ashburn).

not sure about pricing vs Jay's or myLHBS, but it sure beats the snot out of driving to Manassas or 7 Corners.

It does beat driving all that way. I still have to make it out to Brew LoCo and see what their prices are. I usually only go to K&G for odds and ends that I need on brew day or close to it. I did buy my whole grist there once for a Russian River beer I was cloning and it cost me double what jays charges; which is insane.

I"ve never been to the 7 Corners shop. I've never had a reason and there's too much congestion for me out there!

Vally Homebrew out in Stephan's City is pretty cool. Mom and Pop type shop that is very into the community. It's a far drive though but it's through the mountains so it's much nicer than driving east towards the city. They're open on Sundays too.

I buy pretty much everything at Jays. Few times I've had to rethink my plans because he is out of lactose, or a specific yeast, but he's close by and a nice guy.

Meh, I'm in Burke - 7 corners is as far as Jay's and doesn't tend to run out of stuff. I used Jay's when he was in Clifton but have had too many things not be there to drive all the way out to manassas.

T'each their own, I s'pose. :)

Guys, there's a lot of good dialog here around Jay's Brewing in Manassas. I wanted to let everyone know that it is now under new ownership.

The product offering is quickly building up and is making waves in the community. Check you the Facebook for some of the recent updates and notifications. (Full disclosure, I am the new owner.)

https://www.facebook.com/jaysbrewing

I understand some of the shortcomings of Jay's over the last year or so and am working hard to clean, clean, clean and maintain inventory to an acceptable level. Our goal for the end of the year is to be a one-stop-shop for the home brewer, to include kegging.

While we still have a long way to go, I would love everyone's support and if you have any questions, or constructive criticism, PLEASE let me know.

Also, I would love to see everyone out at this year's Big Brew, held at OBH in Vint Hill VA.

What is a Big Brew? In short, it's an everyone's invited brew day, at an awesome brewery with 170 water on tap. Fun, food, beer and brewing. Can't go wrong with that. Oh, and did I mention that it's free?!

More info and RSVP Link found here:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/national-homebrew-day/big-brew-events/?site_id=2178
Tell them that Jay's sent you.

Get your brew paid for - Check this out:
https://www.facebook.com/jaysbrewing/posts/873151652758710

No time to plan? Jay's Brewing will be onsite offering select supplies while supplies last.

This year should be awesome! Hope to see everyone there.

Guys, there's a lot of good dialog here around Jay's Brewing in Manassas. I wanted to let everyone know that it is now under new ownership.

The product offering is quickly building up and is making waves in the community. Check you the Facebook for some of the recent updates and notifications. (Full disclosure, I am the new owner.)

https://www.facebook.com/jaysbrewing

I understand some of the shortcomings of Jay's over the last year or so and am working hard to clean, clean, clean and maintain inventory to an acceptable level. Our goal for the end of the year is to be a one-stop-shop for the home brewer, to include kegging.

While we still have a long way to go, I would love everyone's support and if you have any questions, or constructive criticism, PLEASE let me know.

Also, I would love to see everyone out at this year's Big Brew, held at OBH in Vint Hill VA.

What is a Big Brew? In short, it's an everyone's invited brew day, at an awesome brewery with 170 water on tap. Fun, food, beer and brewing. Can't go wrong with that. Oh, and did I mention that it's free?!

More info and RSVP Link found here:
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/aha-events/national-homebrew-day/big-brew-events/?site_id=2178
Tell them that Jay's sent you.

Get your brew paid for - Check this out:
https://www.facebook.com/jaysbrewing/posts/873151652758710

No time to plan? Jay's Brewing will be onsite offering select supplies while supplies last.

This year should be awesome! Hope to see everyone there.

the New Jay's... now with 100% fewer cats!

I seriously can't say enough about the experiences I've had at Jay's in the couple short weeks that it's been in new hands.

Back