Isle of Skye Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg2536

Reaction score
Just got this recipe from Chuck Skypeck at Boscos Brewing Company :rockin: and wondered if anyone could convert it to a 5 gal homebrew size .

73% Pale Malt

9% Munich Malt 10L

9% Cara-Pils Malt

5% Caramel Malt 80L

1% Chocolate Malt

1% Roasted Barley

1% Black Malt

1% Smoked Malt

Mash warm (154 degrees F)

20 IBU’s of Northern Brewers entire length of boil

8 IBU’s Kent Goldings hops ½ of boil

Kent Goldings hops to finish

Ferment with a clean and aggressive strain of ale yeast (We use our house yeast on this beer) You might try Wyeast 1056

We add vanilla to bring all these flavors together, not to flavor. We add 16 ounces for 217 gall

Thanks Greg

With just percentages and no Original Gravity figure, there's no way to convert it short of guessing. Think about it...if someone said:

A solution is 35% water, 35% vinegar and 30% piss - what volume of water is there?

Would you be able to answer it without knowing what the total solution volume is? Nah. There's no way to know actual amounts when all you have are percentages. Ask the guy for an original gravity number. Then we can convert.

Boscos puts the OG on their menus if I remember correctly. Do you know what that is? It'll help me determine the efficiency settings.

Here ya go. I set the mash efficiency at 75% and it looks pretty good. Also, do you know if they use vanilla extract or vanilla beans?
Isle of Sky Scotch Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.84
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.18
Anticipated SRM: 24.3
Anticipated IBU: 28.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.056 SG 13.87 Plato

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
73.0 8.64 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Maris Otter Great Britain 1.038 3
9.0 1.06 lbs. CaraPilsner France 1.035 10
9.0 1.06 lbs. Munich Malt (2 Row) France 1.038 7
5.0 0.59 lbs. CaraMunich 80 France 1.034 80
1.0 0.12 lbs. Chocolate Malt Belgium 1.030 500
1.0 0.12 lbs. Black Malt Belgium 1.030 600
1.0 0.12 lbs. Roasted Barley Belgium 1.030 575
1.0 0.12 lbs. Smoked(Bamberg) Germany 1.037 9

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.59 oz. Northern Brewer Pellet 9.00 20.0 60 min.
0.64 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 8.0 30 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1056 Amercan Ale/Chico

Notes
-----

Use .36 of an oz of vanilla in secondary or at bottling

edit: had to change the amounts to get into the right SG range. Percentages are still the same. Efficiency set at 75%.

2nd edit. found the OG on the website. Changed the recipe to reflect the OG (not really and export 80 and not really a wee heavy). Also had to fix the flavor hops. Should be good to go.

Ok, I think I have it down now. I used Marris Otter for the base malt, they may use domestic though, so that will be a little bit of a guess. I think the MO would do very well in this style. If I get a chance, I may brew this up. I've had it at the pub and it's good. I prefer the IPA and the Flaming Stone though. This would be good in the winter months. I'm going to post the recipe in the recipe db.

If you can get a good extract recipe, please post it. I've downed a lot of mugs of Skye and would love to know how to make it. While a great beer, it's my second favorite behind the IPA and some seasonals. Good luck!

Darren
Little Rock

I contacted Chuck Skypeck and he told me they have no information on an extract for this recipe. I wonder if any of our experts could come up with a recommendation to use?

I'm no expert on extracts, but I think if you substitute the MO with 7 pounds of the liquid malt extract that morebeer sells and do a partial mash on the specialty grains (the munich needs to be converted), you should be fairly close.

Perhaps someone with more experience with extract or PM recipes could take a look at it.

Back