Fermentatin no start advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
Brewed a Belgian Dubbel yesterday, OG 1.062. Made a starter 24 hours earlier 1.8L with a vial of WLP500 Abbey Ale yeast that was about a month away from expiring. After 24 hours on the stir plate, the starter had no sign of activity. I pitched it into 65F wort anyways thinking that maybe it was a fluke. After sitting in the better bottle at 64F for almost 24 hours now, there is still no sign whatsoever of fermentation, no bubbles, no krausen, no nothing. This is unusual to me, I usually have activity in about 8 hours consistently. Question...should I wait a little longer and risk some bacteria or wild yeast taking hold, or should I re-hydrate 2 packs of T-58 that I have as a back up and re-pitch now? TIA

I would wait at least another day. I made two dubbels recently and the second took 40 hours for the krausen to rear its face. Belgian yeast.

I've had a few slow starts before, one took 72 hours believe it or not. I would be patient give it at least 48 hours before you worry.

+1 wait for it. I used a Belgian Ardennes yeast (wyeast 3522) and it was a long slow fermentation compared to other beers I have brewed. Good luck!

Ahhh well, worrying for nothing. Its been about 24 hours and its finally showing some signs of life. It just goes to show you that sometimes even with a big starter that there can be quite a bit of lag time.

Latest posts

Back