I want your state's bottle caps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McHaven

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So, I'm a geographer. My favorite part of geography is the geography of beer. And you know, us geographers, we have a thing for maps. So I want to bring together my love of cartography, geography and beer to create one awesome map.

Here's where I need YOUR help!

I want to create a map of the U.S. using bottle caps. Each state would be made up of the caps of beers from that state. Heck, if there's enough variety in caps received, I can try and be as geographically accurate as possible. (For Example: gulf coast of Texas made out of St. Arnold Caps, whereas central texas is made of Shiner caps, etc etc)

It's hard to get many far flung beers where I live, so I'm not going to be able to get caps very well. So, I'd love it if you would send me caps of your state's best commercial brews.

Here is kind of what I'm going for. Someone in canada did this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomscribble/45984495/
However, I'd like to make sure the proper caps end up in the proper states/geographic area.

Anyway, anyone willing to help?

We've got a few that I can think of right off,just not sure if I can get them all in NE Ohio. I'll have to remember to save some From Great Lakes & Little Kings (Schoenling). Just to name 2.

I can probably send you some PA ones - Troegs, Victory, Penn, Yuengling, Weyerbacher....actually I may have a bunch more as well. I'll look in my coffee can full of caps when I get home and get back to you, I've been looking for something to do with them.

I should be able to get you some Cigar City and Orlando Brewing Company caps. Where do we send them?

nobody in south dakota bottles
Hell I thought Grain Belt was a SD beer, Lord knows I saw enough bottle rolling around the beds of trucks in my youth... But I guess that "distinction" is best left to Minnesota!

On Topic: I will track down some Virginia brews or some other regional varieties!

I can get Bells, Founders, Arcadia, etc.

Sometimes I'll open a beer and just put the cap on my desk thinking there must be a good use for it. Then after a few get piled up I toss them.

I'll see what's in my trash can.

I should be able to get some Washington caps. Maybe even some Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

I will PM my address to those of you willing to contribute. I'd rather not just post it publicly.

Thanks to everyone so far!

I am in the Kansas City metro area, so I can send you caps for Missouri and Kansas breweries. that should knock out two states in one go!

if you need NY/NJ I can help out. Flying Fish has a nice bottle cap. I don't have the caps saved so you'll have to wait until I drink the stuff though.

nobody in south dakota bottles

Yes too bad. We need more breweries to begin with. Where in SD are you?

Crow peak doesn't?? Damn WERPS, (its a SD term) I can send you a sweet brewers best cap with South Dakota on it!!

Looks like hes gonna have a big hole just under north dakota on his artwork!!
Or maybe a bid ole rooster!

I could probably get you the few we have here. Some that come to mind are Choc, Mustang, Marshall, Battered Boar, but a couple more just use gold caps.

Only ones we have around here (omaha/lincoln ne area) that bottle are Lucky Bucket and Empyreon. i will try to track down some caps for you, or add a couple of sixxers to my shopping list for the game this weekend.

I believe I'm caught up on PMs. Still need some more states!

People from the following states have been contacted, IFAIK:

Ohio
Pennsylvania
Florida
Michigan
Washington
Delaware
Kansas
Missouri
New York
New Jersey
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Minnesota
Virginia

As you can see, I've got some pretty big holes. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

You don't have a sierra Nevada bottle cap for Cali yet? Or am am I reading g your post wrong. I'll send u one.if u want.

I will take as many caps as people are willing to send. That will determine the scale of my map. I will send pm's to the recent respondents when I'm not on my phone.

Awesome idea. I have a Newport Storm cap if you don't already have one, It's a Rhode Island micro brewery. It was actually featured on Dirty Jobs a few years ago! -Mike

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Prevail using Home Brew Talk

Awesome idea. I have a Newport Storm cap if you don't already have one, It's a Rhode Island micro brewery. It was actually featured on Dirty Jobs a few years ago! -Mike

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Prevail using Home Brew Talk

Well, I imagine one cap could cover Rhode Island! PM incoming

Haha yes RI is pretty small haha I think (I may be wrong, I'm new to this so don't quote me but I *think* that's RIs only current brewery anyways.. We used to produce Narragansett beer but I think they're out of state now??? But if you find a Narragansett cap that could still represent RI! Ill send the cap out this week! Can't wait to see finished product.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Prevail using HomeBrewTalk

P.s. just checked my PMs haven't gotten one from ya with an address. Thanks, mike

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Prevail using HomeBrewTalk

I believe I'm caught up on PMs. Still need some more states!

People from the following states have been contacted, IFAIK:

Ohio
Pennsylvania
Florida
Michigan
Washington
Delaware
Kansas
Missouri
New York
New Jersey
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Minnesota
Virginia

As you can see, I've got some pretty big holes. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Most of the AZ beers I drink tend come in cans, but I'm willing to bet I have a fair amount of CA, CO, and OR caps somewhere in my appartment.

I have a collection of a lot of bottle caps from California. I have some from Northern and Southern California. Are you looking for bulk caps or just one from each region? I can provide Russian River, Lagunitas, Sierra Nevada of course, Anchor, and a whole plethora of San Diego/SoCal beers... The Bruery, Stone, Pizza Port, Green Flash,Mission, maybe even a Karl Strauss. I also have other states... an Alaska cap, as well as some Colorado caps (Fat Tire, Flying Dog, Avery, Great Divide) I also have Oregon (Deschutes, Rogue). Unfortunately I'd only be willing to part with one of each. I am going to send this in a PM as well.

I can send some from The east coast. I drink so much Vermont beer I only have one cap on my keggerator.
From left to right
VT, NH, MA, LA

image-2501745753.jpg

Back