Brew software that will sync with Mac and iPhone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have an iPhone, so can't say. But, I use BeerSmith 2.0 in conjunction with Dropbox to sync it between my PC and Mac. The trick is that you copy all of the files for Beersmith from its folder and put them into a folder in your Dropbox folder. Then in Beersmith, you change your working directory (it's easy) so that you're working from that Dropbox folder. Dropbox syncs that folder across whatever computers you set it up on.

I suppose it's the same as working off of a network folder though. But, the difference is you wouldn't have to have the computer hosting that network folder turned on if you're using the other computer.

The *only* problem I've seen is that the beer recipe view for printing out doesn't work. It doesn't show the ingredients. But Brad the guy at Beersmith is aware of this now and guessing he'll fix that.

The BeerAlchemy Touch iPhone app doesn't get as much credit as it should. It is essentially the exactly the same application as the Mac version, except that it is only $4.99 as opposed to $29.95 for the desktop version. I've been playing with it for weeks on my iphone and haven't bothered to pay for the desktop version yet. I can't find anything in the desktop trial that the "touch" version doesn't also do, with essentially the same UI.

But to the original question, you can sync between the desktop and iphone versions as long as you're on the same network. It's simple and keeps everything in sync between the two, but I'd just jump in and buy BeerAlchemy touch if I were you. There's a lot of stuff I wish it did, but even still, it's the best $5 app I've gotten to date.

iBrewMaster is good too. It doesn't really sync with the computer (that i know of), but it lets you email your recipe to yourself or friends, and lets you print too. Really nice app.

Back