Need advice on custom dip/pick up tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoxtonBrewing

Reaction score
Two part question.....

1) Where do you recommend to order custom 1/2" stainless tubes?
2) What is the best way to use the compression fittings shown to have the tubes connected, but not permanent? I would need to remove the tubes when I clean to remove the false bottom and hop stopper.

If I remember correctly, I once saw a place that sold them with o-rings, but I cannot remember where.

image-1411663424.jpg

image-382976863.jpg

Here is what I think I need.(be sure to provide input if you have additional ideas)

I am working on making the pickup tubes removable. If I use the compression fitiings as they are meant to be used, the ferrules will dig into the tube and will not be able to be removed and used again.

So, by following Kal and his Ultimate Brewery design and instruction, I decided to just use o-rings.

He shows how this works on his chiller, but he uses 5/8 compression fittings and I am using 1/2 for pickup tubes. He uses the o-rings so the ferrules do not dig into the copper pipe, but this should work for my purpose as well.

Here are his photos that show what I am wanting to do.

This shows the way the compresiion fittings are made to be used.

3661-img-6621-letters.jpg

Here is the way I want to use them with o-rings replacing the ferrule.

3662-img-6620-letters.jpg

3663-img-6626-letters.jpg

THIS IS WHERE I MAY NEED HELP.

Has anyone done this? Kal lists McMaster Carr part number 9396K24 for his o-rings for 5/8 compression.
I think I may need part number 9452K172 for 1/2 compression.

Anyone have the experience to back me up?

i as looking for this info again as well, i remember seeing it on some vendors sight. They had taken a 1/2" npt x 1/2" compression and drilled the compression side so the tubing slid all the way thru and sealed with o rings instead of the metal ferrule.

The ferrules may dig into the tube, but you can take out the dip tube and put it back into the compression fitting everyday for the next 20 years and never have an issue with it. Why would you want to replace the tube beyond just removing it for cleaning purposes?

The same oring kal list works for 1/2 and 5/8. I used it for both, think it is the 211 IIRC. I have a 5/8 pickup tube and 1/2 herms coil.

If you order a pickup tube from Bargain Fittings they send you the ferrules for the compression fitting. They also send silicone o-rings so you can hook it up without the ferrules. If you use the ferrules you can still remove the dip tube. What's the big deal if the ferrules bite into the dip tube?

I guess I misunderstood that the compression fittings were more of a one time use on the tube. My thought was that if you took it out and re-tightened it over and over, it would eventually effect the tube.

If you guys say it is cool to remove and reuse, then I am cool with that.

On my MLT(with the false bottom) and the BK(with the hop stopper) I will just need to removed the tube for the cleaning phase of brew day.

Thanks for all the input folks. It is very helpful. I have taken on a project of building a new rig and a lot of the construction are things I have never worked with.
It is great to have a community like this to help.

I got my dip tubes here ($7): http://weldlessfittings.com/kettlefittings.html

I picked up the Swagelok fitting too and did tighten it down. When I need to pull it off after each brew, I just go in there with a wrench. I found a stubby one works great. I actually like the fact that it is locked down and won't twist (maybe the o-ring ones could?) because it's tied to my false bottom. I put SS washers and hose clamps above and below so it comes out as one unit.

Maybe I'm not understanding the reservation with the compression fittings.

Latest posts

Back