oceanspray blueberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friarjohn

Reaction score
I had a taste of the blueberry juice from oceanspray this morning. It is yummie,I bet it would be good fermented. I looked at the ingredients, it didnt list anything as a preservative. It does have malic and ascorbic acid. I now ascorbic will ferment but what about the malic acid?

That's fine. I thought Ocean Spray had high fructose corn syrup (that's why I don't buy it) but the acids are absolutely fine. Malic acid gives a "tartness" to the juice. It'll ferment with it, but you may notice it's even more tart when the sugar is fermented out.

I made a delicious Blueberry Cider 1 gallon test batch and now I'm on a full 6 gallon batch.

The recipe was pretty simple:
1.5 gallons Oceanspray Blueberry
2.5 lbs Dextrose
Apple Juice to fill 6 gallon carboy
Lavlin EC-1118 Champagne Yeast

I sweetened it to a OG of 1.088 and it fermented to 1.00 for a ABV of 8.62%, I backsweetened half with more sugar and juice to a gravity of 1.015 and left the other half dry, both were good depending on your preference. I'm sure you could do the same thing with lots more sugar and get it into a wine strength OG and it would still go to dry.

Back