Brewing right now and having a problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
I am currently mashing and the recipe called for a temp of 152 and i added my grains to the water at 160 and it is at `148 currently ... Just boiled half a gallon of water gave it a stir and it didnt change a bit... I currently have 4 gallons of water in my mash ... and suggestions ? I was planning on using a little over 8 gallons before it hit my kettle... Help please :p

boil another gallon and slowly add it while stirring till you hit it. If you are worried about you volume drain off a gallon to do it.

ok thanks a bunch... the temp did come up i just didn't give my thermometer time to adjust... it is around 156 now more than 152 but i guess that will still be alright

148 isn't going to make too much of a difference from 152 if you just can't seem to get the temperature up, the beer might end up a little bit drier than it would have but it'll still be good.

I am currently mashing and the recipe called for a temp of 152 and i added my grains to the water at 160 and it is at `148 currently ... Just boiled half a gallon of water gave it a stir and it didnt change a bit... I currently have 4 gallons of water in my mash ... and suggestions ? I was planning on using a little over 8 gallons before it hit my kettle... Help please :p

148 isn't bad. At that temp you convert fermentable sugars. If you mash at 148 the beer tends to be dryer. At 156 you get less fermentable sugar. Resulting in a beer with more body. When the mash temp is all over the place it's hard to tell what sugars you are converting to. Fortunately you stayed in the range of conversion so there shouldn't be an issue other than the beer may not be exactly like the recipe intended.

next time make sure that before you make adjustments that you have stirred the crap out of the mash to even out the temp AND get all of the grain clumps broken up . And as you said give the thermometer time to settle.

Back