I fail!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuffManMississippi

Reaction score
Yeast thats all my beer taste like is damn yeast. Color is good. Carb is good. Dont know. Yeast.

Just ordered two more kits to Redeem myself and my beer brewing honor.

Stick them in the fridge for 3 weeks and try again. It'll knock most of the yeast from suspension and give it a cleaner flavor.

Most of the time when someone's beer taste like yeast the rushed the process. They moved the beer too soon from primary, to secondary or bottle, and just really didn't give the yeast time to do their thing and to flocculate out. That's why many of us leave our beer in primary for a month or rack to secondary after fermentation is complete, to give the yeast plenty of settling time.

Ive had this issue with my first 2, they tasted like the smack pack of yeast, even after months they still have that off flavor. the carb and color is great, but after 3 week primary, and 6 weeks in the bottles, they are drinkable but not very good.

I may not have any idea what I'm talking about hear but I have an idea. I have heard that if you boil your grains you are taking away the fermentable's. Is it possible if us newbies did something wrong in the recipe there wouldn't be enough fermentable's and the yeast wouldn't have enough to eat so then we have a yeast taste? Just a theory but sounds good in my head. (I also have been a little concerned because the first batch I've done is in the bottles and I'm hoping this doesn't happen to me in two weeks when I crack one open since I'm so excited)

Edit: Or at bottling somehow screwed up the priming?

I may not have any idea what I'm talking about hear but I have an idea.

This part is correct :)

Boiling won't remove fermentables, and lack of fermentables won't lead to a yeasty flavors. Yeasty flavors may or may not be attributable to drinking actual yeast in suspension. It could be simply off-flavors caused by any number of things (poor yeast health, bad fermentation techniques, infection, not allowing enough time on the yeast, water issues, etc.).

3 weeks primary 1 week secondary cold crashed bottled tasted bad before hand but we bottled anyways they have been in the bottle for 3 weeks now. Still ...... sigh . Yeast.

doing an oatmeal stout ale and a purple haze clone !

Safale 04 will be a bit yeastie on the nose... in my experience

and +1 to BrookdaleBrew

Do you drink it from the bottle? My friend I give hombrews to just recently stopped drinking from the bottle and always complained of yeasty beer. Never made sense to me why he did this.

I think the problem lies with the length of primary. Yeasty smell/taste will occur if it goes WAYYY too long or too short. All the brews I make now are in primary for at least three weeks.

i think it was the wort chiller honestly . it was old and had been sitting in a attic for god knows how long, i got it from a friend. We used the hoses on the chiller they where pretty gross where it connected to the copper so i cut all of it back and cleaned it really well but i think it still contaminated the beer. We completely referbished the wort chiller so there should be no more problems.

Back