Beer Carbonated and still SWEET:p

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEPABREWER

Reaction score
Made a Brown Ale. Fermented out in a week or so, transferred to 2nd for a week and half to clear. Transferred to corny keg with 1/2-3/4 cup sugar and positive sealed with CO2
1.5 weeks later I hooked her up to the tap for a sample and its waem, but carbonated and sweet like soda? SO

Is this still active and going to be SUPER bubbly when its all done?

dead now that I sucked out all the yeast in the first tasting?

Or some strange combo of the 2

Yeah, sounds like a super low hop schedule. Although some of us here really like a malty brew. Publish that recipe and let's take a look.

I don't believe that I under-hopped only because the beer sample I tasted between primary and secondary didn't tatse sweet. It seems that I am tasting residual corn sugar?

Here is the recipe, but I don't remember the amounts. I used hop pellets for the first time so I don't know if they were dodgy or if that is just the way hop pellets are.

6 LBS DME
10oz Wheat Malt
10oz Flaked Barley
4oz Chocolate malt
4oz Munich malt
SafeAle Yeast

Fuggles @ 40 min

Kent Goldings @ 15 min or something like that
Fire away

Assuming you used an ounce of each hop, it might be sweet -- malty. Neither of those varieties are very high alpha; an ounce of Fuggles at 40m isn't a lot of IBU for bittering.

It would help to know the quantities of the hops, and the AA% of them.

And was it 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup of sugar? How big is the finished batch -- 5g? 4g?

I think that better record-keeping will help you improve your beers in the future.

I'm concur w/TexasGeorge's comments.

Better record keeping is required.

When you record your steps you also need to include amounts and times of your hop additions and boil.

Log every step you do. After a while you'll realize which notes can be dropped or which are necessary to write.

"Filled up pot with water and turned on heat" is not a good example of a note to keep.

"Added 5 gals of water to pot and heated to 155F, added grains..." OR...

"Heated, but didn't boil, 1.5 gals of water, removed pot from heat, added and dissolved 6 lbs of Wheat DME. Stirred for 5 mins to ensure malt was dissolved. Returned to heat. At boil added 1 oz of Perle whole hops..." is a good example.:D

Notes like these will give you a greater chance of repeating a good brew recipe...it could also give you an indication where bad brews went wrong also.

you guys are comedians now - I steeped all listed grains for 60 min at 150-155. I added some water (max was 3) gal. brought to a boil them added DME. At 40 min I added 1st hops quantity are those little foil packs 1 oz than 1 oz then another at 5 or 15 min.

Will a nice 60 min hop tea added to this fix problem if after another week its still sweet? ie yeast has done all it can?

If it's sweet now it'll be sweet later.

A hop tea is your only way to go for now unless you have another batch that's overbittered, then you could mix them.

For hop teas boil @1/2 gal water to 1 oz hops 60 mins. You could also up some of the water, double your hops and half the boil time.

Add the tea a cup at a time, swirl, let sit a few minutes to get homogenized a bit and sample.

Repeat until you get the urge to want to try a second drink of the same sample. Then it's ready.

If you over hop you'll have to wait a couple of weeks/months for it to subside some. So be careful.

Back