Is a too fulled carboy can stop the fermentation or slow it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbuck

Reaction score
I putted last friday a red in a carboy but I almost fulled it. It just started to bubble every 30-40 sec. I took an OG test yesterday and didnt put it back in. Maybe it let more space inside for the air so the fermentation started up again?!
A fact or coincidence?

I just did a hefeweizen in a 5 gallon carboy filled to the brim to keep as much krausen out as possible and it took off just fine. I used a starter of nottingham, which I had read didn't require aeration (and I didn't do any aerating). About 24hrs later it was bubbling away. What yeast did you use? And did you aerate it well before pitching?

Yup I did, i think I used safale -05 for a red.

Should i let in or transfert to another carboy?

Did you take a gravity reading before pitching the yeast and was the reading yesterday any lower? That will tell you if fermentation has began. If you are starting to get some bubbling out of the airlock, it sounds like it's doing it's thing, so RDWHAHB and take another reading in a week.

Also, if it's that full, you'll probably want to put a blowoff tube on it before you end up with a mess.

Back