Beginners IPA Recipe + Full Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
new brewer here, I just bottled my first batch of Kolsch style ale tonight and have an Imperial Stout in primary and am already looking for my next batch. In my quest to empty non-twist top bottles for bottling my homebrews I have recently discovered IPA's, and DIPA's, and must say that I am a fan. I was also at my fiancée's parents house today and discovered that my soon-to-be-father-in-law had an old turkey fryer that he used once and had no intention of using ever again, so I wound up with a 55,000 BTU burner, and he even threw in a tank of propane with it :) I already have a 7.5 gallon stainless steel pot that I have been making my partial boil extract kits with on the stove, unfortunately the fiancée dislikes the smell of hops in the house, so I will be moving out doors with my new propane burner and am looking for a good IPA extract recipe for doing a full boil with, as well as any tips you may have for a new "full boil" brewer.

I am a big fan of "Crooked Tree IPA" and Bell's "Hop Slam" DIPA, if that gives you any idea of my IPA tastes in relation to any IPA recipes you may have to offer.

Thanks in advance! :mug:

try Yoops 60 min dogfish head clone its glorious the recipe section has a good selection of all styles. I am going to brew a arrogant bastard clone sunday If you havent tried it taste one and you will be sold.

Thanks for the recommendations, think I'm going to try the dogfish head clone.

Question on the mini-mash though, wouldn't I need a 2nd pot(or cooler) to do a mini-mash? I'm thinking I will just stick with doing full boil extracts for now until I have the the time and money to do an all grain setup.

Finally, I was looking at the burners at my LHBS the other day, and they are putting out 155,000 BTU's, my turkey fryer say it puts out 56,000 BTU's. I am assuming that the 155,000 BTU's are meant for boiling a keg full of mash for the all grain brewers, but will my 56,000 BTU burner be enough to boil 5 gallons of wort? I will likely test this all out with water before my next batch but was just curious if anyone has done this before(guessing someone here has).

Thanks again!

Back