Window A/C unit using extension cord and power strip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeTaps

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know the rule is to not use either of those to power a window A/C unit, however there are no power receptacles within 20 feet of where my A/C unit will be for my fermentation chamber. So I picked up a 25' medium duty extension cord and a good power strip today, and want your opinions on using them. I figured as long as the ratings for the strip and cord surpass what the A/C unit uses, it would be fine.

A/C unit: 500W, 115V, 4.6A
Extension Cord: 1625W, 125V, 13A
Power Strip: Way above both of those (200A and something like 500V)

I can skip usage of the power strip, or get another extension cord for it if that would be better. I need one however for the light inside the chamber and a mini fan to help circulate air.

The power strip probably has a 15a cb.
The 500V rating is probably the maximum spike it can take. a 200A power strip would have like power cord the size of the power lines you have running to your house, about the same diameter as a penny.

I would suggest plugging in the extension cord and running the unit for a while under load. Checking it periodically for heat, especially near the outlets.

I have had extension cords burst into flames while running heavy loads for extended periods like my compressor.

Edit: Most house hold outlets are 15AMP. See if you have a 20AMP maybe in your garage.

The power strip probably has a 15a cb.
The 500V rating is probably the maximum spike it can take. a 200A power strip would have like power cord the size of the power lines you have running to your house, about the same diameter as a penny.

I would suggest plugging in the extension cord and running the unit for a while under load. Checking it periodically for heat, especially near the outlets.

I have had extension cords burst into flames while running heavy loads for extended periods like my compressor.

Edit: Most house hold outlets are 15AMP. See if you have a 20AMP maybe in your garage.

I think I'm just going to buy an A/C or appliance extension cord at Home Depot tomorrow. Not worth the risk using this one, even though it "should" do the job fine. I'll then use this one for the power strip to power my fan and light.

Thanks for the input!

Why does he need a 20 amp breaker to run an appliance that draws only 4.6 amps? A 15 amp breaker will handle 3 times the load of the air conditioner providing he has nothing else on that circuit.

Why does he need a 20 amp breaker to run an appliance that draws only 4.6 amps?

I can't imagine an A/C unit would have a starting current four times the running value, but that would be the only rational for a 20 amp circuit. I'm running a 7 amp A/C on a 15 amp circuit and don't see any problems.

Window a/c's are designed and meant to be ran on run of the mill 15amp setups. You may not want to run a hair dryer/space heater on the same breaker while the unit is on.... You'll be fine, just use 15amp rated stuff (basically anything you'll find at the hardware store). There's no issue with using extension cords and power strips as long as you aren't tripping breakers.

My parents had a house fire doing this exact thing. A window A/C unit on a 25' medium duty extension cord.

If you love your home, family, and pets DO NOT use an extension cord on a A/C unit.

The breakers NEVER tripped. The wiring inside the wall started the fire.

If the wiring inside the wall caught fire then the extension cord probably wasn't the problem...

Heat only builds if you encounter a resistance in the wire, this can happen at plugs/etc if they start to break down. A fire inside the wall is usually caused by breakdown of the wire or a bad junction.

Exacerbated by the heat from the cord. Direct from the Fire Marshall's lips.

Funny how you get on the internetz and everybody is an electrical engineer that specializes in thermal dynamics.

I'm not a fire marshall, but I am an EE. I worked in the industrial field before I moved on to IC world.
There's no mysticism here. besides the wiring in the wall being solid core and the extension cord being stranded, there really isn't anything else. In the scheme of things the extension cord is no different than the cord on the ac unit...

Any chance you're speaking about a unit that pulls around 20amps?

If this does worry the OP it wouldn't be hard to hook up a longer wire directly to the unit /shrug

Funny how you get on the internetz and everybody is an electrical engineer that specializes in thermal dynamics.

I was thinking the same thing only I was wondering about the propensity of people to become alarmist and spread fear uncertainty and doubt concerning the imminent certain death of you and loved ones.

Who then get pissed off when someone calls them on it or expresses a possibly differing opinion.

I do not want to get into a flame fest here:

There's no issue with using extension cords and power strips as long as you aren't tripping breakers.

Then Reedwalker says:"The breakers NEVER tripped. The wiring inside the wall started the fire. "

A house fire happens to be something to be alarmist about.
I didn't get pissed off, I ofered the differing opinion.

Oh yea definitely not trying to anger anyone here. A house fire is nothing to glance over and I'm sorry that Reedwalker had to go through the ordeal of losing a home.

I'm kinda curious about this fire thing... I'm not afraid to admit that I'm not an expert on power engineering and I could easily be missing something.

There's also A LOT of people on here using johnson and ranco controllers that inevitably have extension cord pigtails of some kind linking up high current applications. I've never heard of anyone having excess heat problems.

My main questions arose because there shouldn't be much difference between the braided cable on the ac and the braided cable in the ext. cord. Would this house fire have occurred with the unit being directly plugged into the wall? I guess we can never know....

My two cents - When I owned a retail establishment and was getting permits to open the Fire Marshall made me remove every extension cord that the previous owner had used. Although they do sell extension cords specifically for Air Conditioners I don't recall seeing any that were very long.

This is just another instance were there are way to many different circumstances to really cover it safely since we do not know the condition or method of the house wiring or OCP devices.

In our facilities extension cords are allowed ONLY for temporary use. The main reason being the risk of physical damage to the cord.

Assuming that everything is in good condition the only reason I would be worried about using a long extension cord is voltage drop. When a motor experiences a voltage drop it will cause it to draw excessive current in turn creating excessive heat possibly damaging the motor. It could also obviously cause a breaker to trip if the current exceeds the breaker rating to long (see story below).
If it was me and I had to use an extension cord I would use one that had 12AWG conductors minimum.

I personally have seen an overloaded 20 amp circuit heat up the conductors and not trip the breaker...it was a 20A GE breaker with a continuous load of 23A, a 20A circuit should not see a continuous load of more then 16A.
Depending on the wiring condition this could have caused a fire, this is why I said that there are just to many circumstances to properly discuss this...oh an by the way a typical breaker will trip the magnetic overload at a current of 5X the rating instantaneous so starting current is a non issue.

Thanks for the tips, all. I decided on a premium duty 12AWG 15A 125V extension cord, 25' in length. They sold a 50' too, but no use in getting more than I need. It should be fine, as the A/C unit's lead is 18AWG 10A, so since the extension cord is considerably higher than that, I don't think there will be any issues.

Thanks again.

Back