should I or should I not? Zest!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodsStepBrother

Reaction score
So this is my third batch, and I am doing a Hefe Weizen from Midwest (Hank's Hefe Weizen w/ Danstar Munich dry yeast :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies). With my second batch I wanted to dry hopp my IPA in secondary but I felt intimidated and didn’t want to mess up my second batch. However I love the citrus taste that some Hefeweizen’s come with, and I really want to give mine something of this nature. How much orange zest should I add to my secondary? I was thinking maybe 5 oz? I have also heard that you could add the peel once it is cooling down in the kettle? Or should I just leave it and follow the instructions the kit comes with? Has anyone ever tried this recipe?

I've seen about 1/2 - 1 oz. added 15 till the end of boil, but thats not from experience, just friends suggestions and trials.

If you are brewing to style then there is typically no orange zest/peel in Hefeweizen. You are confusing that with a Wit. German wheat beers use malted wheat at or above 50% of the grain bill. Belgians typically use unmalted wheat and usually less than 50% of the grain bill and are also characterized by the addition of orange peel and coriander.

But nobody says you have to brew to style. If you want to add zest. It is usually in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. 1.0 - 1.5 oz per 5 gallon batch

Back