beersmith questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docmoran

Reaction score
two questions,

in strike water temp calc is the grain temp really the pre water addition mashtun vessel temp??

in water volume calc, what is reasonable amount to place in loss to trub and chiller?

thanks for any input prior to my use of program and first AG

I'm a liitle unsure what you are asking in the first one. But I'll take a stab at it.
In the settings for your mash profile there are locations to input the temp of the grain (before adding any water to them) and for inputting the temp of your MLT (before adding water) Just make sure the option to use those inputs. (I think it's "adjust for equipment temp" but I don't have BS here at work to make sure) is on.

As for number two it all depends on your setup. If you are not using a CFC or plate chiller then there really is no loss for a chiller (i.e. no tubes to hold it)
and the amount lost to trub will be what ever your kettle leaves behind.

On my setup my kettle pickup tube will leave about 2qt's behind and my cfc will drain completely so I just have it set for 2qt's.

Run a test with water and measure what's left behind.

Back